Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: rear ends for 122

rear ends for 122 1 year 4 months ago #728

• zvolvo123
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Anyone know what rear ends and rear end gears are available or will fit a '67 122?

I'm pretty sure mine has a 4:10, but I'd like to go to something longer for better mileage.
You must register to gain posting privileges.

Re: rear ends for 122 1 year 4 months ago #729

• gdill3
  • Thank you received: 33
zvolvo123 wrote:
Anyone know what rear ends and rear end gears are available or will fit a '67 122?

I'm pretty sure mine has a 4:10, but I'd like to go to something longer for better mileage.

Hello again, Tommy.

Looking ar your Amazon...
zvolvo123 wrote:
Thanks for the info George. I have taken it to my local electric shop, and he's old school. His experience with auto blower motors has been that when he gets it apart the bearings come out and he is usually unable to get them back together and in the motor. I'll see if this genteleman is still active.

I found the car in Orlando. It has very little rust and a working volvo ac unit, which were the main buying points for me. It has other issues however, so I probably paid too much. For instance had to get a header due to severely cracked manifold (couldn't hear it earlier because he had a magnifolw "muffler" on it), and I just ordered a new wiring harness from Swedish Treausres because the electric is totally screwed....

It was apparently a parts car at an Orlando shop in the 80s and was put together and sold rather than being moved when the business relocated. It has a B20 with a j-type overdrive, so that will be fun to try to wire properly.

But it is a great car and drives really good. I'm looking forward to getting it highway ready and it'll then be my daily driver.

Tommy

...we see a 4-speed with OD already in the car.

Changing the diff gears for better mileage is doable but the gains would be at 85+mph in fourth gear OD.

Share the info on that little metal tag under one of the diff cover bolts and we'll find some different gears based on which rearend your car has.

Did you get the blower motor going? Electrics?

George Dill

Re: rear ends for 122 1 year 4 months ago #730

• zvolvo123
  • Fresh Boarder
Tag is gone from axle....

Got a local auto electric shop looking at the blower motor. Last of 5 in town.....still waiting on a verdict. Will let you know.

Tommy

Re: rear ends for 122 1 year 3 months ago #775

• zvolvo123
  • Fresh Boarder
Back to the rear end George. The tag on mine is long gone. I figure i have a 4:10 at best. I'd like to go down at least to a 3:55 or lower. Trust me, i have in town mileage driving dowin pat. My last was a 2008 yaris rated 29 city. I averaged 44 mpg in town. Could only get that on the highway at less than 60 mph.

Re: rear ends for 122 1 year 3 months ago #776

• gdill3
  • Thank you received: 33
zvolvo123 wrote:

We are gonna need the specs on your '67 Amazon diff (Spicer 27, 30, etc.) to search for the correct gear set.

George Dill

Re: rear ends for 122 1 year 3 months ago #778

• zvolvo123
  • Fresh Boarder
Hey George,

After a lot of scraping and a large mess, i found the tag and the following numbers:

Tag; 41 10, 4:10 (so know i know the current gear)
Right side of casing: 30
Left side of casing: C-32908

Pix below.

Thanks for your help!

Tommy
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.285 seconds

We have 459 guests and no members online