Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: B18D Rebuild

Re: B18D Rebuild - Ethanol Gas?? 1 year 2 months ago #773

• mrains
  • Fresh Boarder
I have a lead on an M41w/OD for $650. How difficult is it to retrofit from my M40? I know the driveshaft has to be modified (who/how?) but what about driveshaft bearing support? Any changes to tunnel/body underneath?

Also, my engine may posed the question of milling the top of the block versus head for higher compression. He made that remark before checking the engine out and not knowing clearances. I told him Volvo high performance guidance was milling the head. Any thoughts/input on such?

Thanks,

Mike Rains
You must register to gain posting privileges.

Re: B18D Rebuild - Ethanol Gas?? 1 year 2 months ago #774

• gdill3
  • Thank you received: 32
mrains wrote:
I have a lead on an M41w/OD for $650. How difficult is it to retrofit from my M40? I know the driveshaft has to be modified (who/how?) but what about driveshaft bearing support? Any changes to tunnel/body underneath?

Also, my engine may posed the question of milling the top of the block versus head for higher compression. He made that remark before checking the engine out and not knowing clearances. I told him Volvo high performance guidance was milling the head. Any thoughts/input on such?

Thanks,

Mike Rains

If that M41/OD for $650 is ready to install it is indeed a bargain.

The first link below will take you to answers re OD swap into an M40 Amazon AND B18/20 engine builds/mods.

The second link (a repeat) contains a brazzilion Volvo Amazon links including the online register where you can see if your car has been included and if not you can send in your registration.

George Dill

vclassics.com/archive/index.html

tinyurl.com/l2dw8t7
Last Edit: 1 year 2 months ago by gdill3.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mrains

Re: B18D Rebuild - Ethanol Gas?? 1 year 2 days ago #859

• mrains
  • Fresh Boarder
George,
Finally making headway on the B18 rebuild and I have a couple of key questions for you and the forum.

We are going forward with .020 oversize pistons and rings and all new bearings. The wrist pin bushings in the con rods have no slop so not planning on replacing those.

I gave my engine man the Volvo Tech Bulletin for increasing performance. It calls for a .080 shave of the head. My engine man is not keen on doing this much; maybe .040, because he is concerned wtih pre-detonation, especially since cast iron head. He says industry guidance is to stay below 9.5:1 with cast iron heads. This guy is VERY experienced so I tend to want to trust his judgement. He also thinks we should deck the block .010-.020. Is there any problem doing either of these?

With any/all of above, do we need anything special in head gasket?

Finally, we inspected the cam. As I mentioned earlier, the original factory cam was worn out and my seller had replaced it with something with more performance. There is a very faint mark on one end but it almost looks like a nick. It is quite small and could be construed as a crude "c". There are other stampings along the cam shaft in the cast sections they are (not in any order): C1, D1, EP41, K16. Can any of this be used to validate what cam I have?

Any expertise, advice greatly appreciated. Machine starts next week.

Re: B18D Rebuild - Ethanol Gas?? 1 year 1 day ago #861

• gdill3
  • Thank you received: 32
mrains wrote:
George,
Finally making headway on the B18 rebuild and I have a couple of key questions for you and the forum.

We are going forward with .020 oversize pistons and rings and all new bearings. The wrist pin bushings in the con rods have no slop so not planning on replacing those.

I gave my engine man the Volvo Tech Bulletin for increasing performance. It calls for a .080 shave of the head. My engine man is not keen on doing this much; maybe .040, because he is concerned wtih pre-detonation, especially since cast iron head. He says industry guidance is to stay below 9.5:1 with cast iron heads. This guy is VERY experienced so I tend to want to trust his judgement. He also thinks we should deck the block .010-.020. Is there any problem doing either of these?

With any/all of above, do we need anything special in head gasket?

Finally, we inspected the cam. As I mentioned earlier, the original factory cam was worn out and my seller had replaced it with something with more performance. There is a very faint mark on one end but it almost looks like a nick. It is quite small and could be construed as a crude "c". There are other stampings along the cam shaft in the cast sections they are (not in any order): C1, D1, EP41, K16. Can any of this be used to validate what cam I have?

Any expertise, advice greatly appreciated. Machine starts next week.

Camshaft – the K16 is a Stage 2 street/racing cam. eBay that sucker and let it go to the highest bidder.

Head gasket - avoid the thick version and avoid the thinnest version with paper-like thinness. Call ipd and explain your B18D build direction for head gasket/cam advice.

Your final B18D setup should be easy to tune, drive and maintain – the ipd street cam is fine. You may need to fine-tune the SUs with different needles.

Yes, shave the head and deck the block - go with your tech's minimum recs. This will square up the head/block relationship and assist in proper sealing plus assure the correct piston-head relationship. Remember that the rocker mechanism’s proper function may be affected if too much iron is removed.

Con-rods and wrist pins – weigh and measure each (effective length) to confirm balance and stroke.

Inspect all moving/touching/spinning/rubbing metal components of the engine and valve train then replace/repair as needed. Bent pushrod? Grooved valve adjuster screw? Etc.

Volvo cam specs…

tinyurl.com/khzdt5z

George Dill

Re: B18D Rebuild - Ethanol Gas?? 1 year 1 day ago #862

• mrains
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks George for this quick reply. I especially appreciate the cam guidance; I was suspicioius about it. My mechanic has checked everything out. He's a no nonsense type; if it's good keep it, if not replace. The valve train was in very good conditoin because it had been redone when cam replaced. Main bearings had some wear spots but crank journals were beautiful. This guy has a shop that actually had a set of B18 main bearings stashed away. It is full of all sorts of parts old and new. Anyway, we're moving forward. I'll call IPD ASAP and get their cam recommended.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.268 seconds

We have 206 guests and no members online