Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Original Amazon Wheels

Original Amazon Wheels 1 year 1 month ago #777

• mrains
  • Fresh Boarder
Being somewhat of a novice at this, I took my 4 wheels to a powder coat shop and had them cleaned up and powder-coated for $80 each. They were very rust all over, but particularly the back side so I didn't think just doing the rustoleum thing was going to be sat. Wheels came out looking great!

Had my Volvo shop mount some new Bridgestone 175/65R15's. When I picked up the wheels, TIm informed me that they were a bitch to balance and he had to us alot of stick on weights (all on the back). When I mounted them on the car and hand spum them, two were out-of-round noticeably and the other two very slightly. Also, thinking the powder coating was uneven on the back mount raised surface, I lightly sanded those ridges with 100 grit to bare metal. No change in results.

I purchased a spare rim on EBAY for $25 and tested it out without a tire. It spins pretty true, as true as my best two.

I've done alot of research on new wheels keeping the same offset but moving up to 5 or 5.5" width. But I hate to throw away my powder coating money if I don't have to.

Can these bad wheels be trued up without messing up the finish? Is it worth it?
Is it common for these older steel wheels to get out of round? Seems like a pretty hard hit would have to occur. No damage seen on rims which is why I didn't think to spin check before sinking the $$ into refinish.

ANY suggestions/thoughts would be appreciated.
Last Edit: 1 year 1 month ago by mrains. Reason: Add more info
You must register to gain posting privileges.

Re: Original Amazon Wheels 1 year 1 month ago #779

• zvolvo123
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Howdy Mike.

Years ago when i was young and even dumber, i was spinning out in my 69 Chrysler and smacked a curb. The wheel got bent and had the same issue balancing. I took it to a local frame, spring, and alignment shop and they bent the rest of it to match. If you have an old time frame/spring shop, you might try them.

Hope this helps.

Tommy
The following user(s) said Thank You: mrains

Re: Original Amazon Wheels 1 year 1 month ago #783

• gdill3
  • Thank you received: 31
Call Joey...

JOEY'S TRUCK REPAIR
2641 North Graham Street
Charlotte, NC 28206

...and explain your situation to him as he has area contacts doing steel wheel repair.

George Dill

Re: Original Amazon Wheels 1 year 1 month ago #784

• mrains
  • Fresh Boarder
Thank you much George. I've been searching the Web for this service and most of what comes up are alloy repair outfits; not intersted/don't do steel anymore.
Time to create page: 0.272 seconds

We have 88 guests and one member online

• Marti Settle