Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Best way to do seat re-upholstery?

Best way to do seat re-upholstery? 1 year 1 month ago #788

• mrains
  • Fresh Boarder
My interior will need a major redo. I see that some of the Amazon parts co's sell what looks like skins that are cut for Amazon seats and back bench. The price looks reasonable but I haven't priced local shops.

Anyone have an opinion on what is the best way to go. I'll need to replace my door panels as well.

Thanks.
You must register to gain posting privileges.

Re: Best way to do seat re-upholstery? 1 year 1 month ago #789

• gdill3
  • Thank you received: 31
mrains wrote:
My interior will need a major redo. I see that some of the Amazon parts co's sell what looks like skins that are cut for Amazon seats and back bench. The price looks reasonable but I haven't priced local shops.

Anyone have an opinion on what is the best way to go. I'll need to replace my door panels as well.

Thanks.

Buy everything new, re-web and re-foam the seats then have a pro auto upholstery shop do the install.

Before installing the new door panels, kick panels and full rubber mat consider a re-do of the floors and doors.

George Dill

Re: Best way to do seat re-upholstery? 1 year 1 month ago #790

• mrains
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks George. Yes, it's stripped to floor metal and coming back with insulation, etc. When you say buy everything new, are you recommending the "skins" I referred to? If so, any particular outlet better than others? I'm looking at VP currently.

Re: Best way to do seat re-upholstery? 1 year 1 month ago #791

• gdill3
mrains wrote:
Thanks George. Yes, it's stripped to floor metal and coming back with insulation, etc. When you say buy everything new, are you recommending the "skins" I referred to? If so, any particular outlet better than others? I'm looking at VP currently.

If you prefer the original look the skins are just fine. If you decide to order them (and panels, etc.) look for a USA-based shipper as large items from Europe can call for huge shipping $$$.

For a car destined to be your personal driver set to your personal tastes my take is to let the pro upholstery shop provide all labor, materials and patterns. Interior door panels and kick panels are very easy to fabricate and cover with the material/pattern/color of your choice. Some items wil be Volvo-specific such as the shift boot, knee shelf, etc. A quilted cloth-like synthetic material (comfortable, durable, easy to clean) in a color to match the painted interior parts would look real nice and last for years.

Be sure the seat frames are not fatigued especially if previous drivers were of full-body figure.

Ever think about different front seats with headrests, heaters, etc?

George Dill
Last Edit: 1 year 1 month ago by gdill3.

Re: Best way to do seat re-upholstery? 1 year 1 month ago #792

• mrains
  • Fresh Boarder
Actually I had considered (and still will) but I don't have any welding eqiupment/expertise. I saws a YouTube video by some guys who replaced with older Porsce seats, I think. Apparently they were a pretty close fit at base.

Do you have any suggestions for what would be a reasonably straightforward refit. I like our 240 seats, head rest, adjustable, etc. but don't know if they work at base.

Any ideas would be appreciated as I am going to drive this baby; not a creme puff show car; although it's going to look sharp.

Re: Best way to do seat re-upholstery? 1 year 1 month ago #793

• gdill3
mrains wrote:
Actually I had considered (and still will) but I don't have any welding eqiupment/expertise. I saws a YouTube video by some guys who replaced with older Porsce seats, I think. Apparently they were a pretty close fit at base.

Do you have any suggestions for what would be a reasonably straightforward refit. I like our 240 seats, head rest, adjustable, etc. but don't know if they work at base.

Any ideas would be appreciated as I am going to drive this baby; not a creme puff show car; although it's going to look sharp.

Your chassis number shows to be a P130 2-door sedan which would require a forward-folding front seat.

Many seat swap options are available and some can be done by modifying the donor seat frame rails instead of the car's seat mounts on the floor.

Here is the floor of a P130 Amazon...

tinyurl.com/kd43ha5

...showing the simple seat mounting points.

If you go with a pro upholstery shop ask them for some ideas on a seat change-over to include power controls.

George Dill

ps: Is your Amazon registered?...

www.bearmanmotorsports.com/amazon.html
Last Edit: 1 year 1 month ago by gdill3.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.262 seconds

We have 163 guests and no members online

You are here: Home Forum RWD Forums Amazon P120, P130 & P220 (1956-1970) Best way to do seat re-upholstery?