Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Steering Box Adjustment

Steering Box Adjustment 3 months 3 days ago #1340

• mrains
  • Fresh Boarder
I replaced seals on my steering box. Everything looked very good inside (bushings, bearings). I'm adjusting the play with adjustment screw on top and spring scale as directed in the manual.

Just wanted to confirm that the torque required to turn the steering shaft decreases at the end of travel in each direction. That is, the max torque to turn (which is where I'm setting the adjustment) is in the mid part of travel and then it drops off towards the end of travel in each direction.

Any help appreciated. Thanks.
You must register to gain posting privileges.

Steering Box Adjustment 3 months 3 days ago #1341

• gdill3
  • Thank you received: 33
mrains wrote:
I replaced seals on my steering box. Everything looked very good inside (bushings, bearings). I'm adjusting the play with adjustment screw on top and spring scale as directed in the manual.

Just wanted to confirm that the torque required to turn the steering shaft decreases at the end of travel in each direction. That is, the max torque to turn (which is where I'm setting the adjustment) is in the mid part of travel and then it drops off towards the end of travel in each direction.

Any help appreciated. Thanks.

This is indeed the case with the tires off the ground and the steering/suspension components all in good order.

The spring scale values are for a "new" or fully rebuilt steering box. Your '66 Amazon's box with new seals and "Everything looked good..." internals may benefit from the gdill3 steering box adjustment FTPEO NATO Top Secret method.

With the front tires off the ground adjust the screw to that point where you feel it is way too tight.

Back off the adjustment screw until just when the slightest movement (wiggle) of the steering wheel causes no movement in the steering arm attached to the bottom of the steering box.

Now tighten the screw a very small amount tight until you perceive slight movement in the steering arm when the steering wheel is gently wiggled.

Any tighter could make for lousy on-center tracking (assuming proper front alignment and front suspension in order).

Looser may cause wander on irregular pavement.

My take would be to ignore my secret method and follow the manual. If that is satisfactory you can thank me for providing a break from your wrenching while reading this mess.

BTW, what lube are you using in the steering box?

George Dill
The following user(s) said Thank You: mrains

Steering Box Adjustment 3 months 3 days ago #1342

• mrains
  • Fresh Boarder
thanks for the confirmation on torque changes as well as the Dill method. I may try that after I run for 4 or 5K miles. right now the box is out of the car and pinion arm is off as well.

I plan on putting in 80-90 gear lube. Any recommendations?

Steering Box Adjustment 3 months 3 days ago #1343

• gdill3
  • Thank you received: 33
mrains wrote:
thanks for the confirmation on torque changes as well as the Dill method. I may try that after I run for 4 or 5K miles. right now the box is out of the car and pinion arm is off as well.

I plan on putting in 80-90 gear lube. Any recommendations?

That's the right call - don't believe that urban legend about hot STP...

George Dill
Time to create page: 0.263 seconds

We have 48 guests and no members online