Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Heater Box Fitup

Heater Box Fitup 2 months 1 day ago #1349

• mrains
  • Fresh Boarder
It's me again. Fitting up a beautifully restored heater box. The fresh air joint is not sealing up on the bottom of the gasket. Wonder if it's too thin?

The whole thing gets pulled together through bolt at top and 2 studs at base. Can't see how the fresh air joint is going to make up solid.

Any issues with this in the past? Any tricks/solutions short of gooping up a bunch of silicone?
This car will NOT leak and as it stands now, water entering the fresh air intake will drain out in a gap between the body and heater.
You must register to gain posting privileges.

Heater Box Fitup 2 months 1 day ago #1350

• gdill3
  • Thank you received: 32
mrains wrote:
It's me again. Fitting up a beautifully restored heater box. The fresh air joint is not sealing up on the bottom of the gasket. Wonder if it's too thin?

The whole thing gets pulled together through bolt at top and 2 studs at base. Can't see how the fresh air joint is going to make up solid.

Any issues with this in the past? Any tricks/solutions short of gooping up a bunch of silicone?
This car will NOT leak and as it stands now, water entering the fresh air intake will drain out in a gap between the body and heater.

Hmmmm - gonna need some pictures to dwell over so I can do up another sleeper post.

Thanks.

George Dill

Heater Box Fitup 1 month 4 weeks ago #1353

• mrains
  • Fresh Boarder
Sorry, false flag. When I pulled it in with the top bolt, the gasket mated up. Just didn't look like it would seal the gap before tightening up.

One question though, on the steering column, the design uses a flimsy piece of foam to seal around the column (spring clip on firewall). Has anyone made something more solid such as out of neoprene. Does the foam piece work ok? I am trying to achieve 100% seal up of firewall for sound and air.

Heater Box Fitup 1 month 4 weeks ago #1355

• gdill3
  • Thank you received: 32
mrains wrote:
Sorry, false flag. When I pulled it in with the top bolt, the gasket mated up. Just didn't look like it would seal the gap before tightening up.

One question though, on the steering column, the design uses a flimsy piece of foam to seal around the column (spring clip on firewall). Has anyone made something more solid such as out of neoprene. Does the foam piece work ok? I am trying to achieve 100% seal up of firewall for sound and air.

A new foam piece properly installed would seal just fine until you turned the steering wheel a few times. Over time any wiggle in the column will ovate the seal.

Ideally one could fab up a snap-on item with fine hairs making the seal as this would keep its shape for some tome.

For those wanting OEM appearance just install a new seal then carefully shoot a bit of spray-on (no stink, no fumes) insulation under the dash.

More ideas in the links below.

George Dill

www.brickboard.com/RWD/index.htm?id=1561224&show_all=1

www.brickboard.com/RWD/index.htm?id=1440809&show_all=1
The following user(s) said Thank You: mrains
Time to create page: 0.244 seconds

We have 167 guests and one member online

• coppervolvo