Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Body Repair Suggestions

Body Repair Suggestions 2 years 4 months ago #434

• Schneb122S
  • Fresh Boarder
I have a '62 122S 4DR. Haven't seen any at shows. Lots of slick 2Doors. Are there any of you sedate 4Door types out there? Does VCOA maintain a list of the number of types - model - year owned by members?
Just Curious!

I'm almost ready to commit buckets of bucks to attacking the rust and a complete body rehab. I've had “Viola” since 1964, second owner, lots of memories. Engine & running gear are in good shape. But her body is worn with bits of Pacific Northwest rust and dents. Most shops advise me to find a better shell. But hey! This is my gal. How could I part with ‘Viola’ for someone else's body!.
You must register to gain posting privileges.

Re: Body Repair Suggestions 2 years 4 months ago #435

• gdill3
  • Thank you received: 34
Schneb122S wrote:
I have a '62 122S 4DR. Haven't seen any at shows. Lots of slick 2Doors. Are there any of you sedate 4Door types out there? Does VCOA maintain a list of the number of types - model - year owned by members?
Just Curious!

I'm almost ready to commit buckets of bucks to attacking the rust and a complete body rehab. I've had “Viola” since 1964, second owner, lots of memories. Engine & running gear are in good shape. But her body is worn with bits of Pacific Northwest rust and dents. Most shops advise me to find a better shell. But hey! This is my gal. How could I part with ‘Viola’ for someone else's body!.

Welcome to the Forum, Ed.

Viola's oxidated body parts are easily replaced as ready-to-fit sheet metal and trim are available.

The big item is primary chassis box sections and suspension mounting points - these areas must be solid.

Given your nearly 50-year bond with this classic Amazon it appears Viola is up for a full rehab.

If needed, we can link you to parts suppliers and how-to sites specific to your restoration.

BTW, my first Volvo was a '62 122S 4-door sedan purchased for $250 in Jan 1969.

George Dill

Re: Body Repair Suggestions 2 years 4 months ago #436

• Schneb122S
  • Fresh Boarder
George, Thanks for the input.
I'm currently building a list of body parts I need and looking at Vintage Import Parts (Pt.Roberts, WA) for source, or a possible parts car in better condition than Viola!

Another Question.
Does the "ipd" Anti-Sway Bar worth the expense and effort on a 122S. Figure that the time to install is when the body is torn apart.

Ed

Re: Body Repair Suggestions 2 years 4 months ago #437

• gdill3
  • Thank you received: 34
Schneb122S wrote:
George, Thanks for the input.
I'm currently building a list of body parts I need and looking at Vintage Import Parts (Pt.Roberts, WA) for source, or a possible parts car in better condition than Viola!

Another Question.
Does the "ipd" Anti-Sway Bar worth the expense and effort on a 122S. Figure that the time to install is when the body is torn apart.

Ed

Let us know what Volvo parts you are about to purchase so we can share possible (alternate) sources.

A salvage 122 4-door with little/no rust would be a tough find today.

The ipd sway bars will indeed take much of the "door-handle turns" lean from Viola and most folks include new poly suspension bushes and shocks with the bar install.

These improvement may also change other ride characteristics which have endeared you to Viola.

George Dill
Time to create page: 0.245 seconds

We have 103 guests and one member online

• jlecci