Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: New 1966 122s Coupe Owner - Need Advice

Re: New 1966 122s Coupe Owner - Need Advice 1 year 4 months ago #686

• jbryson2
  • Fresh Boarder
Depends on the shop. The budget you've laid out seems reasonable. I would like to keep the total spend for all the mechanical issues and upgrades on your list to around $7K to 8K max, but also don't want to wait 6-8 months! Would like to make the trip home in June or July. Again I haven't seen the car in person yet so this could change.

Thanks!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: New 1966 122s Coupe Owner - Need Advice 1 year 4 months ago #687

• gdill3
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Thank you received: 30
jbryson2 wrote:
Depends on the shop. The budget you've laid out seems reasonable. I would like to keep the total spend for all the mechanical issues and upgrades on your list to around $7K to 8K max, but also don't want to wait 6-8 months! Would like to make the trip home in June or July. Again I haven't seen the car in person yet so this could change.

Thanks!

At $7K total the Amazon (name?) will be one fine ride.

Here are some future mods that would enhance performance and safety:

- Front spindles/disks/calipers from an 1800 gives true dual-circuit front brakes.
- Diff from the same donor gives rear disk brakes, true dual-circuits and different gear ratios.
- An exact-fit upgraded all-metal radiator will improve AC performance and add-on trans cooler.
- Rear-mount battery.
- Computerized water injection to include programmable engine operating parameters and electronic ignition.
- Twin racing carbs.

Also in the works is an aftermarket front suspension for the Amazon/1800 that completely replaces the original unit and provides power steering.

Looking at the pics you posted I see a cool ride already with a nice intake manifold for downdraft carb(s).

Those rear bumper over-riders - is one closer to the body?

George Dill

Re: New 1966 122s Coupe Owner - Need Advice 1 year 4 months ago #688

• jbryson2
  • Fresh Boarder
George,

Yes I noticed the bumper issue as well, will check it out. I've been reading extensively and have talked to one shop. Turns out the 122 with an automatic has a smaller transmission tunnel then a car with a manual. This is bizarre to me, my ancient experience was that an automatic was huge next to a manual.

If I had only known, would have waited for the right manual car to come along, but no regrets! I like the car I bought. The shop owner I spoke with mentioned swapping a more modern AW71 with overdrive to replace the current PW35, or, rebuilding the PW35 and installing a lower diff gear, something like a 3.73 or 3.56.

By the way, the "ballpark" prices he quoted for the AW71 swap and installing an AC unit would take the entire budget :( so I need to think this through. Ultimately this may turn into more of a GT car with an automatic (which I would enjoy as well) than an autocross toy.

Having another shop look at the car, the seller has been great to work with!

Decisions, decisions....

Re: New 1966 122s Coupe Owner - Need Advice 1 year 4 months ago #689

• gdill3
  • NOW ONLINE
jbryson2 wrote:
George,

Yes I noticed the bumper issue as well, will check it out. I've been reading extensively and have talked to one shop. Turns out the 122 with an automatic has a smaller transmission tunnel then a car with a manual. This is bizarre to me, my ancient experience was that an automatic was huge next to a manual.

If I had only known, would have waited for the right manual car to come along, but no regrets! I like the car I bought. The shop owner I spoke with mentioned swapping a more modern AW71 with overdrive to replace the current PW35, or, rebuilding the PW35 and installing a lower diff gear, something like a 3.73 or 3.56.

By the way, the "ballpark" prices he quoted for the AW71 swap and installing an AC unit would take the entire budget :( so I need to think this through. Ultimately this may turn into more of a GT car with an automatic (which I would enjoy as well) than an autocross toy.

Having another shop look at the car, the seller has been great to work with!

Decisions, decisions....

Easy decision - as we speak Amazon Lovers are shopping for a classic Volvo for their wife, kids, grandkids, etc.

One gentleman is threatening to swap an automatic into his PV so his wife can boogie.

My vote on this car would be to enlist the SoCal shop to work all the needs to include a rebuild of the AT if needed after a full service and adjustment.

Once all is ready drive it home to Chicago and make small improvements at minimum dollars.

Come Spring 2014 pull the Amazon out of storage, give it a good detail/service, then put it on the market.

Once your finances recover and the car is with a new happy owner start a search for that ready-to-rumble P132 Amazon in the $8K to $12K range.

George Dill

tinyurl.com/ct995g7

Re: New 1966 122s Coupe Owner - Need Advice 5 months 3 days ago #1136

Hi George,

You mentioned an "An exact-fit upgraded all-metal radiator will improve AC performance and add-on trans cooler". I am replacing my radiator and would love to know your specific recommendation. I have the intention of getting my 122 out fro track days here in SoCal. Any pointers are appreciated.

Mark

Re: New 1966 122s Coupe Owner - Need Advice 5 months 3 days ago #1138

• gdill3
  • NOW ONLINE
Mark_Snelgrove wrote:
Hi George,

You mentioned an "An exact-fit upgraded all-metal radiator will improve AC performance and add-on trans cooler". I am replacing my radiator and would love to know your specific recommendation. I have the intention of getting my 122 out fro track days here in SoCal. Any pointers are appreciated.

Mark

Hello again, Mark;

Update your existing thread at...

www.vcoa.org/forum/42-Pushrod-Performance-Forum/919-motor-oil-for-track-days#1053

...with details of your 122 setup so we can hook you up to the appropriate providers for radiator upgrades to include oil coolers and trans coolers.

Thanks.

George Dill
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.287 seconds

We have 69 guests and 2 members online

• gdill3
  • tyler1013
You are here: Home Forum RWD Forums Amazon P120, P130 & P220 (1956-1970) New 1966 122s Coupe Owner - Need Advice