Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Amazon front end rebuild

Amazon front end rebuild 1 year 3 weeks ago #874

• mrains
  • Fresh Boarder
Looking for any tips/suggestions for rebuilding my front axle. Before reinstalling my rebuilt B-18 in a couple of weeks, I am considering dropping the entire front axle and replacing all the busings, ball joints, etc. the rubber on the bushings are shot and I suspect the ball joints are bad as well. Also need new shocks.

I want to clean everything up, do limited painting and reassemble.

Question, are polyurethane bushings the way to go. No big price difference, but read where they last longer.

Second question, do I need to do anything special with the springs as I loosen the axle mount bolts and lower the unit down? Anybody that 's done this; any tips would be helpful.

Sure seems like the easiest way to refurb the whole assembly versus replace in place.

Thanks for any insights/tips.
You must register to gain posting privileges.

Re: Amazon front end rebuild 1 year 3 weeks ago #882

• gdill3
  • Thank you received: 33
mrains wrote:
Looking for any tips/suggestions for rebuilding my front axle. Before reinstalling my rebuilt B-18 in a couple of weeks, I am considering dropping the entire front axle and replacing all the busings, ball joints, etc. the rubber on the bushings are shot and I suspect the ball joints are bad as well. Also need new shocks.

I want to clean everything up, do limited painting and reassemble.

Question, are polyurethane bushings the way to go. No big price difference, but read where they last longer.

Second question, do I need to do anything special with the springs as I loosen the axle mount bolts and lower the unit down? Anybody that 's done this; any tips would be helpful.

Sure seems like the easiest way to refurb the whole assembly versus replace in place.

Thanks for any insights/tips.

The poly bushes are indeed long-lasting but harshen the ride and transmit vibration/noise more than OE rubber.

Existing front coil springs - if both are the same relaxed height and measure the same compressed pounds they should do for a long time.

Looking here...

tinyurl.com/oklg4ap

...we see the Volvo Factory Repair manuals for your Amazon. Notice that Books 6 and 7 apply to your intended repair.

Shocks - if you go with the poly bushes all-round might as well go with the Gas-Adjust shocks and ipd bars but expect a "firm" ride.

George Dill

Re: Amazon front end rebuild 1 year 3 weeks ago #888

• mrains
  • Fresh Boarder
Great info. Thanks. Quick point to service manual big help.
I went with rubber bushings. Holding off on IPD kit but will have to decide before interior goes back as I understand the rear sway bar bolts up under the back seat. Everyone extols the virtues, but first I heard it will stiffen the ride. Maybe I'll see how the original works first, can always remove the seat later.

I ordered KYB front and rear gas shocks from VP. IPD tech said they were fine and high end stuff wasn't worth the money. Hopefully I'll have a good ride with those. What type do you recommend?

Dropping the front axle was really pretty easy especially with the engine out. Going to clean everthing up and reinstall prior to engine going back in. Painting engine compartment too, of course.

Re: Amazon front end rebuild 1 year 3 weeks ago #890

• gdill3
mrains wrote:
Great info. Thanks. Quick point to service manual big help.
I went with rubber bushings. Holding off on IPD kit but will have to decide before interior goes back as I understand the rear sway bar bolts up under the back seat. Everyone extols the virtues, but first I heard it will stiffen the ride. Maybe I'll see how the original works first, can always remove the seat later.

I ordered KYB front and rear gas shocks from VP. IPD tech said they were fine and high end stuff wasn't worth the money. Hopefully I'll have a good ride with those. What type do you recommend?

Dropping the front axle was really pretty easy especially with the engine out. Going to clean everthing up and reinstall prior to engine going back in. Painting engine compartment too, of course.

When installing new suspension components snug up the fasteners just finger-tight until everything is together then lower the car on a firm flat level smooth surface and bounce around on all four corners then sit in the driver's seat.

With the car still on the ground (tires/wheels not turned) and you in the driver's seat tighten the fasteners to spec (the shock bushes should NOT bulge outside the washers). After a few drives re-tighten all fasteners as needed and finalize frontend alignment.

George Dill

Re: Amazon front end rebuild 1 year 3 weeks ago #891

• mrains
  • Fresh Boarder
George,
Is there a special Volvo tool availalbe to tighten the fastners while I'm situated in the driver's seat? :)

Thanks for the methodology. Looks like it's based on real experience.

Re: Amazon front end rebuild 1 year 3 weeks ago #893

• gdill3
mrains wrote:
George,
Is there a special Volvo tool availalbe to tighten the fastners while I'm situated in the driver's seat? :)

Thanks for the methodology. Looks like it's based on real experience.

Volvo Special Tool OICU812...

www.zdmak.com/wbstore/images/volvo5196.jpg

...which attaches to a 40' flexible boom and hooks onto the belt of the robot you must lease from Volvo Robotics, USA.

After a few tries you will get good at manipulating the robot using its camera to view the under-car picture. Just be sure the fridge is less than forty feet distance.

George Dill
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.278 seconds

We have 44 guests and no members online