Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Amazon front end rebuild

Amazon front end rebuild 11 months 3 weeks ago #1005

• mrains
  • Fresh Boarder
Anyone have any suggestions for the steering idler arm bushing for my '66 Amazon? I am reassembling the steering gear with new seals. Rest looks good. The idler arm bushing is very old/cracked. I believe I read that this bushing wears quickly. Saw where urethane is available and perhaps a better choice? Also, I think I've seen a special made one with zirc fitting on EBAY; can't remember.

Any recommendations on where to go with this? Also, whatever I install, do you just torque up the shaft nut until arm is firm? Mine was so tight I couldn't move it the arm by hand but it had to have moved when I had steering working before tear down.

Thanks.
You must register to gain posting privileges.

Amazon front end rebuild 11 months 3 weeks ago #1006

• gdill3
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Thank you received: 34
mrains wrote:
Anyone have any suggestions for the steering idler arm bushing for my '66 Amazon? I am reassembling the steering gear with new seals. Rest looks good. The idler arm bushing is very old/cracked. I believe I read that this bushing wears quickly. Saw where urethane is available and perhaps a better choice? Also, I think I've seen a special made one with zirc fitting on EBAY; can't remember.

Any recommendations on where to go with this? Also, whatever I install, do you just torque up the shaft nut until arm is firm? Mine was so tight I couldn't move it the arm by hand but it had to have moved when I had steering working before tear down.

Thanks.

Use a new-style OE idler arm bush from a reputable supplier. Use a press to install the new bush. The top of the new bush should just touch the arm. The retaining washer and nut should be just tight enough to prevent the bush from moving vertically. Poly bushes will transmit much noise/vibration compared to rubber.

George Dill
You must register to gain posting privileges.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mrains
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.243 seconds

We have 96 guests and one member online

• gdill3