Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: B18 Exhaust

Re: B18 Exhaust 10 months 3 weeks ago #1011

• mrains
  • Fresh Boarder
Well I purchased a nice, used dual ported exhaust manifold and getting ready to install noticed that the mounting flange to head is thicker by about .20" than old one and to be reused intake manifold. Seems like the likely fix is to have a machinist take that thickness off so it matches up with the intake manifold thickness and for the shared bolts/washers. Is this right or is there another way?
You must register to gain posting privileges.

Re: B18 Exhaust 10 months 3 weeks ago #1012

• gdill3
  • Thank you received: 33
mrains wrote:
Well I purchased a nice, used dual ported exhaust manifold and getting ready to install noticed that the mounting flange to head is thicker by about .20" than old one and to be reused intake manifold. Seems like the likely fix is to have a machinist take that thickness off so it matches up with the intake manifold thickness and for the shared bolts/washers. Is this right or is there another way?

Another way (see link below).

On the exhaust manifold machine down the stud/nut/washer mating area to match that of the existing intake manifold.

Before that, slightly machine both manifolds where they match up to the head.

When you disassembled the B18 did it have those round spacers that slip into the head at the ports?

George Dill

tinyurl.com/ml9ontk

Re: B18 Exhaust 10 months 3 weeks ago #1014

• mrains
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks, you confirmed my thinking. And I was considering facing off the intake flange as well so both seal great and are falt to the head. The example you linked is almost exactly like my engine. I did the same alternator conversion with a Delco 10si.

The inserts were preserved and are on the intake ports; don't believe they are on the exhaust but I'm out of town and can't check. Thanks for the reply. I'll be meeting with my engine man/machinest early next week to get this last piece done.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.258 seconds

We have 60 guests and no members online