Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: M40 Seal replacement

M40 Seal replacement 10 months 3 weeks ago #950

• mrains
  • Fresh Boarder
Have replaced oil seals on my M40. Question: Is it normal for the input shaft to have some radial play? The output shaft is rock solid but I can wiggle the input shaft a little and can see the motion inside the box where it fits with the main shaft. I understand there are bearing rollers (14) in that connection and the main roller bearing that fits in the front of the housing. So two bearings retain the input shaft but it is an overhung design with a long shaft unsupported. Just wonder if what I'm seeing is okay?

As best I can tell, the internals of the transmission look very good. No wear on gears, no sludge. The old seals were hardened but front was still holding as I tested by tilting unit with oil inside. The old back seal leaked slightly and was my main source of mess.
You must register to gain posting privileges.

M40 Seal replacement 10 months 2 weeks ago #951

• gdill3
  • Thank you received: 32
mrains wrote:
Have replaced oil seals on my M40. Question: Is it normal for the input shaft to have some radial play? The output shaft is rock solid but I can wiggle the input shaft a little and can see the motion inside the box where it fits with the main shaft. I understand there are bearing rollers (14) in that connection and the main roller bearing that fits in the front of the housing. So two bearings retain the input shaft but it is an overhung design with a long shaft unsupported. Just wonder if what I'm seeing is okay?

As best I can tell, the internals of the transmission look very good. No wear on gears, no sludge. The old seals were hardened but front was still holding as I tested by tilting unit with oil inside. The old back seal leaked slightly and was my main source of mess.

The Volvo Factory Green Book (repair manual) for the M40 shows no figures for tolerances/wear.

Does the input shaft ride in the pilot bearing an/or throw-out bearing?

George Dill

M40 Seal replacement 10 months 2 weeks ago #954

• mrains
  • Fresh Boarder
Not sure what you mean by your question George. The input shaft of course does ride in the pilot bearing that sets in the flywheel. When I made the comment about overhung bearing design, that was with the tranny sitting on the bench. I just wondered if anyone had ever seen this play. In a similar query elsewhere the the answerer asked if play was radial or axial. Definitely not axial. But you can move the forward end of the input shaft up down/sideways just a little (radial play). To me, it means the main bearing is acting as a pivot and the bearing rollers in the main shaft have play that allows movement. The main question as always: Too much play?

If know one knows, I think I'll go ahead and put it in service. If it turns out bad, I believe I could pull the tranny without too much headache except for the allen head bolts, but there I will definitely have a universal or other means for accessing them.
Time to create page: 0.248 seconds

We have 170 guests and one member online

• rrepaire