Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1966 Amazon Conversion to Overdrive

1966 Amazon Conversion to Overdrive 6 months 1 week ago #1077

• mrains
  • Fresh Boarder
I've reinstalled my rebuilt (seals) M40 with rebuilt engine and intend to initally enjoy. In parallel, I'm moving towards installing OD. I have acquired a shortented driveshaft (not sure it will work but what the hey for $50). Now there are some M41's out there and the main question is:

Do I need to go with the D-type (which apparently was used up to '69, or can I install a J-type (which sounds better designed and perhaps more parts available?)??

Also, regrading 4th gear interlock switch and backup light switch, all models seem to have these on the top cover plate for short shifter models. I'm not big on going to short shifter but I guess I could be convinced if not too hard with tunnel modifications. Otherwise, I think I would be fine with the original shift rod. Question, have folks drilled into the long shifter plate and installed the 4th gear interlock switch that appears on the short shifter plate? Also, can I continue to use the existing backup switch mounted right above the M40 output shaft or do I have to modifiy that as well?

Thanks.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

1966 Amazon Conversion to Overdrive 6 months 1 week ago #1078

• gdill3
  • Thank you received: 30
mrains wrote:
I've reinstalled my rebuilt (seals) M40 with rebuilt engine and intend to initally enjoy. In parallel, I'm moving towards installing OD. I have acquired a shortented driveshaft (not sure it will work but what the hey for $50). Now there are some M41's out there and the main question is:

Do I need to go with the D-type (which apparently was used up to '69, or can I install a J-type (which sounds better designed and perhaps more parts available?)??

Also, regrading 4th gear interlock switch and backup light switch, all models seem to have these on the top cover plate for short shifter models. I'm not big on going to short shifter but I guess I could be convinced if not too hard with tunnel modifications. Otherwise, I think I would be fine with the original shift rod. Question, have folks drilled into the long shifter plate and installed the 4th gear interlock switch that appears on the short shifter plate? Also, can I continue to use the existing backup switch mounted right above the M40 output shaft or do I have to modifiy that as well?

Thanks.

The M40 is not identical to the M41. Keeping the M40 and adding OD requires additional/different mods than when installing the M41/OD.

The short shaft fitment depends on spline count, total length and flange mount configuration.

I agree with keeping the "swan's neck" shifter - my mode of transportation for nearly forty years.

Once you decide which direction to go (keep the M40 or not) let us know and we will link you to how-to sites with pics, instructions and parts requirements.

George Dill

1966 Amazon Conversion to Overdrive 6 months 1 week ago #1079

• mrains
  • Fresh Boarder
Sorry for the confusion. I did not mean to imply that I was going to modify my M40. I am only going to use if for awhile on the car until I get the M41/OD/drive shaft all checked out. There are several M41's for sale on EBAY with one being a D type and the other two J's. My guess is it may not matter which type for my '66 with B18 and standard axle, but wanted to be certain.

Do I need to be concerned about the D versus J? If not, would you recommend the J?

Thanks again.

Mike

1966 Amazon Conversion to Overdrive 6 months 1 week ago #1080

• gdill3
mrains wrote:
Sorry for the confusion. I did not mean to imply that I was going to modify my M40. I am only going to use if for awhile on the car until I get the M41/OD/drive shaft all checked out. There are several M41's for sale on EBAY with one being a D type and the other two J's. My guess is it may not matter which type for my '66 with B18 and standard axle, but wanted to be certain.

Do I need to be concerned about the D versus J? If not, would you recommend the J?

Thanks again.

Mike

Go with a ready-to-install mated trans/od with a guarantee.

George Dill

1966 Amazon Conversion to Overdrive 6 months 1 week ago #1081

• mrains
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks for the advice on mated parts and guarantee. Do you know anyone that works on these trannies/OD's and sells them with guarantee? That is what I would prefer to do.

Do I have to have a D type or will a J type work just as well?

Those links you mentioned to installation with pictures would be appreciated. Thanks again.

1966 Amazon Conversion to Overdrive 6 months 1 week ago #1082

• gdill3
mrains wrote:
Thanks for the advice on mated parts and guarantee. Do you know anyone that works on these trannies/OD's and sells them with guarantee? That is what I would prefer to do.

Do I have to have a D type or will a J type work just as well?

Those links you mentioned to installation with pictures would be appreciated. Thanks again.

The gentleman you should contact is Duane Hoberg (ODguru at kc dot rr dot com) AKA The OD Guru.

He markets guaranteed, ready-to-install M41/OD units but be prepared for sticker shock. He can advise on D or J Type.

The links below are all about your intended mods (and more) just be sure to read everything and follow the imbedded links. Note that some links are not recent. More links later.

George Dill

www.vclassics.com/archive/odconv.htm

www.volvoclub.org.uk/faq/OverdriveRebuild.html

www.vclassics.com/pv_od.html
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.275 seconds

We have 181 guests and no members online

You are here: Home Forum RWD Forums Amazon P120, P130 & P220 (1956-1970) 1966 Amazon Conversion to Overdrive