Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Tips for a "survivalist" road kit on long trips

Tips for a "survivalist" road kit on long trips 2 months 2 days ago #1300

• JohnRiddle
  • Fresh Boarder
We made it back to Austin right on schedule yesterday, Memorial Day, around 1pm. Sunday's late run into Texarcana had quite the toll on our rear ends (8 solid hours) and we only managed 5 hours of sleep before hitting the road again at 6am. Since we were back on track, we decided to take a route around Dallas on 19 to 31 through Canton, Athens and Corsicana before getting back on I35 at Waco. Tolling through these little town garnered plenty of attention with waves, honks, thumbs ups and the like.

Speaking of attention; I figured conceptually that there would be some ogling and conversations started by this lovely car. But I wasn't really prepared for the vortex of attention that ensues. At first it was a little uncomfortable, but I realized that what this car does is bring out the best in people. Complete strangers freely share memories that this Amazon elicit. Folks from all walks of life spring smiles on their faces and wave or call out on the road. It's definitely meant to share. I will be continuing to preserve the car as original, but will also balance that priority with ensuring it isn't locked away in a garage. There are both shows and roads in the future.

Our last exercise in endurance came when we hit Waco. A nice southern rain cell crossed right into our path. We had gotten some mild rain in Virginia, where we fashioned a makeshift seal for a gap in one of the back swing out windows (rolled paper towels wrapped in strips of plastic bags worked like a charm with minimal visual interference). All the other windows sealed up great on their own. The hardest rain in the Texas cell crossed just in front of us, so we just got a steady soaking that the low wiper speed could handle. We did spring another leak underneath, which slightly dampened the area around the cargo shelf under the passenger side of the dash.

We rolled into Austin at 1pm, released my mother from sitter duty of our 5 year old and promptly took a nap. The most appropriate event occurred at our place that evening: our friends and neighbors coming over in costume for the season finale of Mad Men. We brought the car to match. : )

First photo is Cynthia and I with the Volvo after deciding to purchase.
Second photo is Bob, the wonderful second steward of the car.
Third photo is upon our arrival home with our friends.

image_2014-05-27-3.jpg

image_2014-05-27-2.jpg

image_2014-05-27.jpg
Lovingly preserved 1967 Volvo 122S
Last Edit: 2 months 2 days ago by JohnRiddle.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.256 seconds

We have 95 guests and 2 members online

• gdill3
  • tyler1013
You are here: Home Forum RWD Forums Amazon P120, P130 & P220 (1956-1970) Tips for a "survivalist" road kit on long trips