Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: An Amazing Amazon Adventure - May 2014.

An Amazing Amazon Adventure - May 2014. 6 months 1 day ago #1298

• gdill3
  • Thank you received: 34
An Amazing Amazon Adventure - May 2014.

Separated by 5,374.9 miles (ATCF), two gentlemen venture some goodly distance from home and each returns as a new owner of a 1967 Volvo Amazon - all during the same week.

John Riddle of Austin, Texas...
JohnRiddle wrote:
Well, it's been a long, but wonderful weekend adventure so far. The car is everything that was promised. It's a perfectly patina'd, almost entirely original 122s with an eye toward preservation over restoration. All the right things were replaced, however, in order for it to drive from Chambersburg, PA to Texarkana, TX without a single hiccup.

Unfortunately, in order to make it back to Austin in 2 1/2 days, we've had to forego contacting or visiting any of the vcoa members on the above list. Had to skip our other friends too, except for a quick lunch in Nashville with a college buddy and his fam.

As for the packing list, I brought all the tools in a Pelican case on the plane and the supplies at an auto parts store in Chambersburg on the way out of town. Haven't needed a single one, so it must have been comprehensive enough. : )

I have used one and a half quarts of Castrol GTX 10W 30, but attribute that to running the B18 on a four speed at 70mph for 1,200 the last two days. Again, the car hasn't complained, it's just revving pretty high.

One question: what do other folks B18 derived cars usually have their temp gauges running at? Mine is sitting right on the white line next to the Hot area, but not in it. Just curious.

Alright, one last run through Texas tomorrow and then home sweet home with the newest member.

John

...and (from Swedespeed) Paul near Leinfelden-Echterdingen, Germany...
gts455;2328726 wrote:
Went for a test drive today and promptly paid for the vehicle. I am now the proud owner of a 1967 Volvo P130. It started and ran better than most newer cars I have had. No smoke from the exhaust at all. After a tune up and oil change it should be good to go for commuting to work. I will post pictures and possibly a video driving it home through the Black forest in the next few days. Thanks for all the help and advice, I’m sure I’ll have more questions soon enough.

Follow their Happy Trails (links below) as two tickled Classic Volvo Lovers share their bond with fellow Volvo Nuts.

George Dill

John: www.vcoa.org/forum/10-Amazon-P120-P130--P220-1956-1970/980-tips-for-a-survivalist-road-kit-on-long-trips

Paul: forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?211216-Thoughts-and-opinions-for-a-1967-Swedish-P130
You must register to gain posting privileges.
Time to create page: 0.251 seconds

We have 180 guests and no members online

You are here: Home Forum RWD Forums Amazon P120, P130 & P220 (1956-1970) An Amazing Amazon Adventure - May 2014.