Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Hello, checking in from Colorado with a 1800s

Hello, checking in from Colorado with a 1800s 1 year 2 months ago #868

• tellmem3
  • Fresh Boarder
Hello everybody,

My name is Chris out of Aurora, Colorado. My father purchased a 66 Volvo 1800s brand new right when he left the military. Unfortunately, my dad passed away in 1995 and we have kept his car in our family possession the entire time. The last time the car saw any road was in 1979 when it was last registered and it rested in a garage ever since. I have now inherited this car and going to continue the legacy. It has 48,000 original miles (no rust, no accidents) and I am trying by very best by reading and researching as much as I can to keep this car exactly like it is "stock" with paying close attention to fine details on things that may require servicing.

So far to date, I have replaced the points, cap and rotor, new spark plugs and wires, water pump, t-stat, drive belt, brake master cylinder. I also managed to rebuild the SU carbs and got them synced up pretty nicely. Compression is holding steady throughout all cylinders. I also set the valve clearance and she is purring pretty nicely I must say idling right at 1k. I am hoping to get classic plates and re-registered to me with expected completion date later this fall for it to see the "official"road again since 1979 / 1980. I still have some interior cosmetics things to do as the seats and dash need replacement and I have had some awesome help from a very well known member with giving me great pointers :)

Hope to connect with everybody. A picture attached... Just after a wash - I removed the hubs to polish them.

photo.JPG

Cheers!

Chris
Last Edit: 1 year 2 months ago by tellmem3.
You must register to gain posting privileges.

Re: Hello, checking in from Colorado with a 1800s 1 year 1 month ago #878

• gdill3
  • Thank you received: 34
Looking good, Chris.

If not already, download/save all/most of these...

tinyurl.com/3rwjqum

...and you will soon be (if not sooner) a true Volvo "Expert"!

George Dill

Hello, checking in from Colorado with a 1800s 1 year 1 month ago #897

• tailfin
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4
Hello Chris,

I think it's great that you were able to keep the car in the family and are now its caretaker. You know its history, respect it and will obviously take better care of it than anyone else ever would.

It looks like an excellent specimen and is certainly something to take great pride in. It amazes me how many of these remain that were one-owners with such low mileage and in remarkable condition. Who knows, maybe in another 40 years your son or daughter will be assuming the roll you now have.

Good luck and enjoy it!

Ed
I want to die like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car.
Time to create page: 0.292 seconds

We have 176 guests and no members online

You are here: Home Forum Main Forum Welcome Mat Hello, checking in from Colorado with a 1800s