Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: New purchase S60 is there a preferred tire?

New purchase S60 is there a preferred tire? 1 year 4 months ago #572

We just saw a '13 S60 T5 that looks good. Do you get a choice of tires on the base model. I've seen Continental tires on some and Michelin on others. This is my third volvo. First was a 1966 122S that I drove for 220,000 miles, mostly in California. Then an '84 240 that eventually rusted out here in the northeast. This new version looks so nice after driving a car with no ergnomic comfort. Thank you for any advice.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: New purchase S60 is there a preferred tire? 1 year 4 months ago #573

• gdill3
  • Thank you received: 21
jillmarie999 wrote:
We just saw a '13 S60 T5 that looks good. Do you get a choice of tires on the base model. I've seen Continental tires on some and Michelin on others. This is my third volvo. First was a 1966 122S that I drove for 220,000 miles, mostly in California. Then an '84 240 that eventually rusted out here in the northeast. This new version looks so nice after driving a car with no ergnomic comfort. Thank you for any advice.

Welcome to the Forum.

Your 122S and 240 had "ergonomic comfort" - just on a different level.

My daily-driver for almost 30 years was the Volvo Amazon 122S (mostly wagons) followed by more than 250,000 miles on an '86 245.

The '96 965 was my first car with power windows - what a joy!

Tires on a new Volvo - the Conti's are good and the Michelins a bit better in the standard Touring All-season mode. Most Volvo dealers will work with you on tire choice during the purchase routine.

For dedicated ice/snow tires the choice is wide open.

The base S60 has three tire/wheel choices when bought new - 215/50-17, 235/45-17, and 235/40-18.

Going with the 215/50-17 my personal choice is the Michelin Primacy MXM4 which is the OE tire available from the dealer. A step up is the Michelin Primacy MXV4 with a 91H service Description or the Michelin Primacy MXV4 with the 95V (cheaper).

All my autos run the 91H - Top Rated in all tire reviews.

Have you chosen a dealer and color?

Alternatively, you could do an OSD this Summer while touring Sweden and Norway with the VCOA group!

George Dill

Re: New purchase S60 is there a preferred tire? 1 year 4 months ago #574

Hi George,

Thank you for the reply. I don't yet have the paperwork for the S60 but I'll take your tire data and consider getting the top rated Michelin. I've chosen a dealer and will take possession of a white exterior and tan interior. Do you have any advice on getting the windshield coating that the dealer offers for $690?

The VCOA rendez vous sounds like a blast. Maybe I could drive a 122 again like I did in the California mountains. Always a possibility. I'll check the newsletter for details.

Did your 121 have turn signals that sounded like tambourines?

Here in the northeast one can't find too many older Volvos, unlike more temperate climates. However,with the current cowboy driving styles here, I'm glad I'll be getting more safety equipment than was available way back when.

I appreciate your input. Jillmarie999
Time to create page: 0.234 seconds

We have 97 guests and one member online

• Mark_Snelgrove
You are here: Home Forum FWD & AWD Forums S60 & V60 (2011- Current) New purchase S60 is there a preferred tire?