Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: S60 2002 I just had the timing belt and tensor belt replaced at 104,492 miles,

S60 2002 I just had the timing belt and tensor belt replaced at 104,492 miles, 1 year 3 days ago #695

Just had the timing belt and tensor belt as recomended at 105.000 by Volvo, a few miles after the replacent was made , I get a message reding Reduce Engine Performance. on and off. this had never happen before could in be that the installation was not done right? does anyone have any idea or had this problem.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: S60 2002 I just had the timing belt and tensor belt replaced at 104,492 miles, 1 year 3 days ago #696

• gdill3
  • Thank you received: 22
frcconsultants wrote:
Just had the timing belt and tensor belt as recomended at 105.000 by Volvo, a few miles after the replacent was made , I get a message reding Reduce Engine Performance. on and off. this had never happen before could in be that the installation was not done right? does anyone have any idea or had this problem.

"Reduce Engine Performance" can be one or more of many causes for the light to come on.

On cars with a turbo it is often boost leaks that trigger this message.

To determine the possible causes of the REP light you may wish to have the OBD codes read and defined.

Does the timing belt work have a guarantee?

George Dill

Re: S60 2002 I just had the timing belt and tensor belt replaced at 104,492 miles, 1 month 4 weeks ago #1135

• ernie
  • Fresh Boarder
"Have OBD codes read and defined" The more I try to get this topic straight in my head, the more confused I get. Is there a code reader available that will read a Volvo's codes or not? Some people say yes, many say no. Then I do a Google search for code readers for sale, and it's still confusing. Volvo might be listed, but it isn't clear whether the reader will read all codes, or only engine codes, or no codes at all. Someone clear up this confusion? Thanks,

Re: S60 2002 I just had the timing belt and tensor belt replaced at 104,492 miles, 1 month 4 weeks ago #1137

• gdill3
  • Thank you received: 22
ernie wrote:
"Have OBD codes read and defined" The more I try to get this topic straight in my head, the more confused I get. Is there a code reader available that will read a Volvo's codes or not? Some people say yes, many say no. Then I do a Google search for code readers for sale, and it's still confusing. Volvo might be listed, but it isn't clear whether the reader will read all codes, or only engine codes, or no codes at all. Someone clear up this confusion? Thanks,

The OBD codes in your 2002 Volvo S60 can be accessed by Volvo's proprietary computer-based interface available as a service at all Volvo dealers and some independent garages.

This licensed program is updated as needed and applies to specific Volvo models/years with different programs used for different Volvo models as the computers that operate the car change with the technology.

Over the years Volvo lovers with computer backgrounds have managed to "hack" the OBD interface for some models and even managed to alter the cars' operating software parameters for performance changes. The Volvo dealer will know if a car has been "hacked" when their service people hook up the interface.

For your car the options to get the OBD codes dumped are two - the Volvo dealer or an independent garage with the proper equipment. Both will not be cheap.

Below is a link (2006) with an incredibly obtuse and confusing explanation of this mess which should leave you reaching for the "OFF" button on your device.

George Dill

tinyurl.com/n6mprzj
Time to create page: 0.252 seconds

We have 258 guests and one member online

• alconbullock
You are here: Home Forum FWD & AWD Forums S60 (2001 - 2010) S60 2002 I just had the timing belt and tensor belt replaced at 104,492 miles,