Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: turbocharger charge air pipe

turbocharger charge air pipe 1 month 4 weeks ago #1363

• ernie
  • Fresh Boarder
I did a big "Oops!" when replacing my timing belt. I removed the charge air pipe, and failed to retighten the hose clamp between the intercooler and the charge air pipe. I drove about 40 miles before the hose blew off. Ever since, it seems like my turbo isn't working--when I really get on the gas, I get hesitation instead of that nice "kick in the butt" feeling. Question: is it quite likely that I blew up my turbo by running with that pipe loose? And, how can I know if it's the turbo or something else? I have 100K on the car. I have run diagnostics, and I have no trouble codes, but I don't know enough about OBD to even have any idea what all it can tell me.
thanks!
Ernie
You must register to gain posting privileges.

turbocharger charge air pipe 1 month 3 weeks ago #1364

• gdill3
  • Thank you received: 32
ernie wrote:
I did a big "Oops!" when replacing my timing belt. I removed the charge air pipe, and failed to retighten the hose clamp between the intercooler and the charge air pipe. I drove about 40 miles before the hose blew off. Ever since, it seems like my turbo isn't working--when I really get on the gas, I get hesitation instead of that nice "kick in the butt" feeling. Question: is it quite likely that I blew up my turbo by running with that pipe loose? And, how can I know if it's the turbo or something else? I have 100K on the car. I have run diagnostics, and I have no trouble codes, but I don't know enough about OBD to even have any idea what all it can tell me.
thanks!
Ernie

Hello again, Ernie.

Is this the S60R that you purchased from a Kia dealer a while back?

Share the VIN and model/year info and any data on a plastic tag near the front of the engine showing timing gear replacement date if any.

When the "hose blew off" it is possible that foreign objects entered the turbo intake but that should have made a goodly amount of racket.

Another possibility is the components may have been reassembled "out of order" during the timing belt swap. This is not a rare situation for first-time belt changers.

Once we get you VIN/model info we can link you up to troubleshooting the timing belt replacement.

Thanks.

George Dill

turbocharger charge air pipe 1 month 3 weeks ago #1365

• ernie
  • Fresh Boarder
Hey, I really appreciate the time you put into this forum, helping us "newbies." (Yes, this is the car I purchased in Feb from the Denver KIA dealer. I've since put 10K miles on it, loving every minute behind the wheel.) I crawled back inside the engine compartment and discovered that I had not gotten the clamp that holds the charge air tube to the output side of the turbo assembled correctly, so I was losing pressure from that loose fit. I'm going to take a test drive pretty soon here, but I feel quite confident that the car will be back to it's wonderful self.
This is my third timing belt replacement, the first on a Subaru, the second on a Chevy Aveo. The Volvo took the most time because of all the accessories and hoses and pipes that were in the way, but I turned the engine over by hand for several revolutions, just to make sure my timing marks came up right, and they did. The only spooky thing was that I couldn't find the timing mark on the crank pulley.
My car is an '04, S60R, SN YV1RH52Y442 378973. Given the condition of the timing belt, i would say it was factory. While in there, I replaced both idler pulleys and the water pump.
Thanks, George!
Ernie

turbocharger charge air pipe 1 month 3 weeks ago #1367

• gdill3
  • Thank you received: 32
The timing mark on the crank pulley is a tiny bump usually hidden from view.

George Dill

Time to create page: 0.271 seconds

We have 310 guests and no members online

You are here: Home Forum FWD & AWD Forums S60 (2001 - 2010) turbocharger charge air pipe