Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: timing belt replacement

timing belt replacement 8 months 4 days ago #1130

• ernie
  • Fresh Boarder
I just purchased a 2004 S60R with 90,000 miles. I bought it from a Kia dealer, who knows nothing about Volvos. He said he "thinks" the timing belt was replaced at 60,000. How can I determine whether or not this is so? I did run a CarFax report on the vehicle, and there is no record there of the belt being replaced.
Man, do I love this car!! I'm 62 years old, and this is the first car I've ever loved!
You must register to gain posting privileges.

timing belt replacement 8 months 4 days ago #1134

• gdill3
  • Thank you received: 33

timing belt replacement 7 months 2 weeks ago #1150

• brick-a-brac
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 5
T-belt interval is 105K on these cars, if I'm not mistaken. OEM t-belt kit has a sticker to record date and mileage.

timing belt replacement 7 months 2 weeks ago #1151

• gdill3
gdill3 wrote:
ernie wrote:
I just bought an S60R with 90,000 miles on it. It has brand new tires.
Driving on slick roads, I have noticed that the car is "squirelly" It's not that I lose control, but the car gives me a sense of maybe i'm going to lose control. Could this be the DSTC system working correctly, or maybe it's working incorrectly? I've been driving on icy roads for 40 years, and I've never felt anything like this before. This is the first Volvo I've ever driven.
ernie wrote:
I just purchased a 2004 S60R with 90,000 miles. I bought it from a Kia dealer, who knows nothing about Volvos. He said he "thinks" the timing belt was replaced at 60,000. How can I determine whether or not this is so? I did run a CarFax report on the vehicle, and there is no record there of the belt being replaced.
Man, do I love this car!! I'm 62 years old, and this is the first car I've ever loved!

Welcome to the Forum, Ernie.

Your new Volvo has about 300hp and all-wheel-drive - a great combination for running over squirrels.

Look on the front of the engine for a tag showing last timing belt replacement date/miles and in the glove box for any service records. If still in doubt best to get a new belt, tensioners, etc. as failure is permanent.

The AWD system on your R has been known to "act up" as the miles accumulate and angle gear failure is a common event. Also, computers control the AWD so dump all OBD codes to check the health of the system.

Fun at age 62 - 'bout time!

George Dill

George Dill
The following user(s) said Thank You: ernie

timing belt replacement 2 months 3 weeks ago #1366

• ernie
  • Fresh Boarder
And, while I'm taking about my car, I should add that the squirellyness went away with new tires. The tires it had didn't look so bad, but boy! did new ones make a difference!
I have checked all the trouble codes, and I have none. On the other hand, my diagnostic tool also analyzes for whether my car would pass an emissions test, and it says that it won't. Lists EGR and Oxygen Sensor heater as two of the problems. I'm surprised that if those are faulty that they aren't throwing a code.
Again, George, thank you for your expertise on these cars.
Ernie

timing belt replacement 2 months 3 weeks ago #1368

• gdill3
ernie wrote:
And, while I'm taking about my car, I should add that the squirellyness went away with new tires. The tires it had didn't look so bad, but boy! did new ones make a difference!
I have checked all the trouble codes, and I have none. On the other hand, my diagnostic tool also analyzes for whether my car would pass an emissions test, and it says that it won't. Lists EGR and Oxygen Sensor heater as two of the problems. I'm surprised that if those are faulty that they aren't throwing a code.
Again, George, thank you for your expertise on these cars.
Ernie

My expertise ended with the appearance of the Stromberg carb in 1969.

My current go-to expert is go ogle.

For a great video on S60 timing belt replacement visit here...

www.vcoa.org/forum/21-S60-2001---2010/1004-turbocharger-charge-air-pipe

George Dill
Time to create page: 0.252 seconds

We have 85 guests and no members online

You are here: Home Forum FWD & AWD Forums S60 (2001 - 2010) timing belt replacement