Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Wheels, tires and alignment

Wheels, tires and alignment 2 years 11 months ago #297

• Ken-Secor
  • Fresh Boarder
Our 2008 V 70 came with 17" cast aluminum wheels as well as four additional OEM wheels for snows I put Hak-5's on, switching tires in spring & fall.

The wagon now has 40K miles on and when I pulled the Michie's in fall, noted all four tires were badly worn on the inner edge. So bad, in fact, the cord was visible on one! There was a noticeable vibration from the wheels as well so I opted to have a "wheel straightener" check them for runout and found all four had out-of-round and inner edge damage, probably from potholes - something more and more common with "soft" aluminum wheels with low profile tires...

So the wheels were trued and straightened but before buying four new non-snows, I wanted to have all four wheels aligned to prevent the new rubber I'll mount in spring, from becoming destroyed in short order again.

The alignment however went badly. The mechanic states, the camber on all four wheel is way out of spec but there is no way short of "bending" frame or suspension components, to correct the problem. Apparently, only toe-in can be adjusted? He found that "out" - but not by much!

Given the OEM Michelins only have 25K on them and all four are worn on the exact same aspect (inner edge) - I'm freaking out about needing new "regular" tires every 20K for the rest of the car's life - and knowing the factory spec for camber isn't even close, I'm losing faith in what a wonderful car I thought I owned...

Any thoughts out there? I'd love to hear them :)
Last Edit: 2 years 10 months ago by Ken-Secor. Reason: typo
You must register to gain posting privileges.

Re: Wheels, tires and alignment 2 years 10 months ago #305

• c_long20
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 8
Kinda hard to believe that all four are out like that. Not saying they aren't, God knows I've seen stranger things. Unfortunately there is no adjustment for camber or caster.

If the front subframe has been taken loose and not aligned properly it can throw the alignment out. The 07 and 08 P3 cars had an issue with subframe bushings making noise. A lot of them were replaced but most "techs" out there didn't use the alignment tools when re-installing the subframe.

If the car is still under warranty take it to the dealership and make them look at it. If you throw a big enough fit they will have to at least look at it.

Depending on how you drive, that car should get about 30-40K miles on a set of "well-maintained" tires.

Do you have a way of posting the alignment sheet? It would be cool to see just how far out they are.

Re: Wheels, tires and alignment 2 years 2 months ago #525

I bought a 2011 -C70 new and after 20K miles had uneven rear tires wear . The Volvo camber spec is -2.7'and mine checked at -2.5'. The factory Michelin tires became unbearably noisy at speeds above 20-30 mph.
Found out that Volvo produces a "special" non-adjustable link arm as replacement for the upper arm.
The replacement arm is about 0 .7cm shorter and the camber alignment now is at -1.7' .
I replaced the tires with Continentals, and managed to get some $ relief from Volvo.
After driving 8000+ miles since the work was done , I'm a happy traveler again.

www.vcoa.org/components/com_kunena/template/Aphotic/images/emoticons/smile.png
Time to create page: 0.278 seconds

We have 95 guests and one member online

• okidiver
You are here: Home Forum FWD & AWD Forums V70 & XC70 (2008 - Current) Wheels, tires and alignment