Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Problems with Gear-tronic transmission

Problems with Gear-tronic transmission 3 years 2 months ago #53

• tailfin
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4
2010 XC70, 16K miles.

I have never been happy with the Gear-tronic transmission in this vehicle and have complained to the dealer since I bought it. The usual problem is what they call "Flare". I call it "hunting", as when accelerating, it shifts up and down trying to find a gear it likes. It is so annoying that I do not even use the automatic mode and only use manual shift. That's not much better, as it takes between 1/2 to 1 second to actually shift from one gear to the next, so you have to anticipate when you will need the gear change and shift ahead of time. What a PITA!

We also have a BMW with a similar transmission and it feels like a manual - instant gear change.

The dealer has said they are applying software upgrades and nothing is wrong with the trany, but I can't tell any difference. Last week, I was pulling into a parking space in an underground parking facility and I was about 3 feet away from the wall when the transmission suddenly downshifted and the car lurched ahead. If I hadn't had my foot on the brake, I would have hit the wall!

Has anyone had experiences like this or know of systemic problems with the Gear-tronic transmissions? I don't trust the Dealer. They are the only dealer in the state, have no competition and they don't have a very good service reputation.
I want to die like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car.
You must register to gain posting privileges.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sirjared

Re: Problems with Gear-tronic transmission 3 years 2 months ago #57

• brick-a-brac
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 5
Ed --

It would seem there may be a software fix for the TCU. I know this was the case with the old 5-speed autos in the 2000 cars.

Cheers!

Phil

Re: Problems with Gear-tronic transmission 3 years 2 months ago #58

• gdill3
  • Thank you received: 33
brick-a-brac wrote:
Ed --

It would seem there may be a software fix for the TCU. I know this was the case with the old 5-speed autos in the 2000 cars.

Cheers!

Phil

Indeed I thought the same but killed google chasing any relevant Volvo Service Codes, TB's, recalls, etc.

The owners' manual for 2010 XC70 with Geartronic does state that the M mode does not hook up until the shift lever is operated either up or down even with the trans showing M on the indicator.

How this could apply to rough/balky/hunting shifts dunno.

Something tells me that the computer(s), sensors and associated hardware/software in the 2010 model are much more "sophisticated" than the 2000 models (for which I did find the SC for the trans reflash).

Oh, wait - I see google has recoverd - be right back.

George Dill

Re: Problems with Gear-tronic transmission 3 years 2 months ago #59

• gdill3
  • Thank you received: 33
TailFin wrote:
2010 XC70, 16K miles.

I have never been happy with the Gear-tronic transmission in this vehicle and have complained to the dealer since I bought it. The usual problem is what they call "Flare". I call it "hunting", as when accelerating, it shifts up and down trying to find a gear it likes. It is so annoying that I do not even use the automatic mode and only use manual shift. That's not much better, as it takes between 1/2 to 1 second to actually shift from one gear to the next, so you have to anticipate when you will need the gear change and shift ahead of time. What a PITA!

We also have a BMW with a similar transmission and it feels like a manual - instant gear change.

The dealer has said they are applying software upgrades and nothing is wrong with the trany, but I can't tell any difference. Last week, I was pulling into a parking space in an underground parking facility and I was about 3 feet away from the wall when the transmission suddenly downshifted and the car lurched ahead. If I hadn't had my foot on the brake, I would have hit the wall!

Has anyone had experiences like this or know of systemic problems with the Gear-tronic transmissions? I don't trust the Dealer. They are the only dealer in the state, have no competition and they don't have a very good service reputation.

Still no fix but at least you have company...

www.edmunds.com/volvo/xc70/2010/consumer-reviews.html?sorting=REVERSE_OVERALL_RATINGS

More later.

George Dill

Re: Problems with Gear-tronic transmission 3 years 2 months ago #60

• tailfin
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4
Phil:

The dealer claims they have been keeping the car up to date with software mods, but I can never tell any difference and the lurching happened after the latest update.

gdill3 wrote:
The owners' manual for 2010 XC70 with Geartronic does state that the M mode does not hook up until the shift lever is operated either up or down even with the trans showing M on the indicator.

Right, if you slide over from Drive to Manual mode, it remains in Auto until you make the first gear change. This is not the issue. I never start from drive anymore and it is the slow gear change (up/down) I'm referring to .
gdill3 wrote:
George,

This is exactly the issue I'm having (Leaping Transmission). This leads me to believe there may be something systemic involved here. This is good information to have for the next visit to the dealer.

Visions of '80's Audi dancing in my head...

Thanks, guys
I want to die like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car.
Last Edit: 3 years 2 months ago by tailfin.

Re: Problems with Gear-tronic transmission 3 years 1 month ago #113

• Ken-Secor
  • Fresh Boarder
I have 35K on my '08 V70 and have no such issues w/ the trans.

Although, I would like a much crisper downshift when nailing it - when passing...
  • Page:
Time to create page: 2.050 seconds

We have 226 guests and no members online

You are here: Home Forum FWD & AWD Forums V70 & XC70 (2008 - Current) Problems with Gear-tronic transmission