Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Curious about the radio in my shiny new 2014 XC70

Curious about the radio in my shiny new 2014 XC70 5 months 4 weeks ago #1102

I've owned a couple of Volvos over the years and while they may be atypical in some ways, everything is always well thought out. It may take a while to guess the reasoning, but it always makes sense in the end. This is one of those cases.
I have a shiny new 2014 XC70 with many of the bells and whistles including the navigation package and nifty radio. Whichever music/sound source is active last will be what comes on when the car starts, which makes sense, but what I don't understand is why when the car is started the sound comes on even if the sound was shut off before the car is shut off.
In other words, if the electronics are on, perhaps I'm navigating to a new hotel..whatever, and I'm tired of music and I'd like a little quiet, I can shut down the sound. (Essentially muting it). I stop for a sandwich and get back in the car and the music starts again immediately. It saves the choice of sound source but not the choice of muted (off) or not. That seems like an oversight, but that isn't like Volvo and I assume there is a reason but I don't quite know what it is.
Does anyone have a guess?
I know I can shut off the whole system, which will still be off when I restart the car, but I usually leave the nag screen on or at least I did on the last car, simply because it was handy, even near home, to be able to see what streets were nearby to zip around blocked streets or some such minor but annoying blockage.
None of this is earth shattering or a crisis. I'm just curious about this.
Thanks for your thoughts
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Curious about the radio in my shiny new 2014 XC70 5 months 4 weeks ago #1104

• gdill3
  • Thank you received: 30
Laundry Czar wrote:
I've owned a couple of Volvos over the years and while they may be atypical in some ways, everything is always well thought out. It may take a while to guess the reasoning, but it always makes sense in the end. This is one of those cases.
I have a shiny new 2014 XC70 with many of the bells and whistles including the navigation package and nifty radio. Whichever music/sound source is active last will be what comes on when the car starts, which makes sense, but what I don't understand is why when the car is started the sound comes on even if the sound was shut off before the car is shut off.
In other words, if the electronics are on, perhaps I'm navigating to a new hotel..whatever, and I'm tired of music and I'd like a little quiet, I can shut down the sound. (Essentially muting it). I stop for a sandwich and get back in the car and the music starts again immediately. It saves the choice of sound source but not the choice of muted (off) or not. That seems like an oversight, but that isn't like Volvo and I assume there is a reason but I don't quite know what it is.
Does anyone have a guess?
I know I can shut off the whole system, which will still be off when I restart the car, but I usually leave the nag screen on or at least I did on the last car, simply because it was handy, even near home, to be able to see what streets were nearby to zip around blocked streets or some such minor but annoying blockage.
None of this is earth shattering or a crisis. I'm just curious about this.
Thanks for your thoughts

Welcome to the Forum, LC.

One solution may be to use the drive-thru at the sandwich shop but...

Looking at the online manuals for your Volvo...

esd.volvocars.com/local/us/2014-Volvo-XC70-Owners-Manual.pdf

esd.volvocars.com/local/us/Navigation_Manuals/2014-Volvo-Navigation-Manual-S60-S80-XC60-XC70.pdf

...you and I are gonna be senior citizens once we get this fingered out.

Since I don't watch TV (Super Bowl) you grab a sandwich while I read through this mess.

More later.

George Dill

Curious about the radio in my shiny new 2014 XC70 5 months 4 weeks ago #1108

Mr. Dill,
I've been through the manuals and I've searched online (which is what brought me to the VCOA) and found no explanation. I asked the salesperson who was orienting me as I took delivery and she looked at me like I was crazy and said nobody had ever asked the question before.
All of which makes me think it is me and not Volvo.
Again, not a crisis. I mean how hard is it to just press the off button each time I start the car? (What is the world coming to if pressing a button is considered stressful?)
It is just unexpected and I'm curious. I look forward to hearing your thoughts.
Oh, and thank you for working on this while I entertained the 30 people we had to the house last night to watch that football game.

Curious about the radio in my shiny new 2014 XC70 5 months 4 weeks ago #1110

• gdill3
  • Thank you received: 30
The buses with the Broncos got held up in traffic (Christie again?) so the NFL recruited a local Middle School team to suit up.

The radio menu on your new Volvo is different than the radio menu for a car without Nav.

Try this - with the radio playing a local FM station pull in to the sandwich shop parking lot. With the car in Park, engine running, all doors closed quickly but lightly stab the radio's ON/OFF knob. If the radio does not mute you must now skip the sandwich and re-read the entire NAV manual as NAV affects the radio functions.

If the radio mutes shut down and try the pastrami/rye with kraut.

Once back in the car crank up. Is the radio still on mute?

George Dill
Last Edit: 5 months 4 weeks ago by gdill3. Reason: stuttered

Curious about the radio in my shiny new 2014 XC70 5 months 4 weeks ago #1111

I think you may be right about the Broncos, but given that I rarely watch football, I can't be 100% sure.
Unfortunately, the button seems to mute the sound if you stab it once and if you poke and hold, it shuts down the entire system, including the Nav.
If I mute it, go in and get the pastrami on rye..(swiss cheese but, sorry, no kraut)..when I get back in and start the car, it will no longer be on mute. Thats is exactly what I'm wondering about. Why is the mute not saved like the radio station? Why must it always un-mute when started? I'm sure there is a logical reason, but I can't imagine what it is.
Having to un-mute each time isn't a huge issue. After all, it take loess than a second. I'm just curious what the thinking must have been to engineer the system so that it un-mutes every time.
Time to create page: 0.309 seconds

We have 227 guests and no members online

You are here: Home Forum FWD & AWD Forums V70 & XC70 (2008 - Current) Curious about the radio in my shiny new 2014 XC70