Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Monitor readiness problem in 1998 V70

Monitor readiness problem in 1998 V70 1 year 1 month ago #731

• jworthey
  • Fresh Boarder
I bought the V70 new and drove it off the dealer’s lot on 1997 July 26. Every odd-numbered year the State of Maryland wants it to pass emissions inspection, which since 2002 is done by reading data from the OBD2 port. The next deadline is July 24, and I am having a real difficulty.

An obvious pitfall is explained in a 2002 Maryland document: “1996-1998 Volvo vehicles (excluding 850 Turbo) - These vehicles may have a higher degree of “not ready” for catalyst and evaporative monitors. See Technical Service Bulletin #SB 2-23-0056 for drive cycle information.”

Some diligent Volvo owners have posted the TSB’s drive cycle and other details in discussions on the web. The drive cycle is absurdly specific, but some have made it work. You can search on something like 1998 Volvo OBD monitors not ready, or I can post more links.

But here is my IRONIC SITUATION. For the first time in the car’s life, the Check Engine Light came on in 2007 November, after that year’s emissions test. Although I fix problems as they arise, the check engine light has been on repeatedly since 2007. Many fine repairs have been done, including exhaust system, catalytic converter, O2 sensors, secondary air supply, mass air flow sensor. By luck, the CEL has been off at emissions test time and the car has passed the OBD2 check 5 times. (The first two checks used the tailpipe sniffer.)

Most of the work has been done by a skilled mechanic, but not a dealer. In April, my son and I fixed one little vacuum line and replaced the vacuum-actuated valve in the Secondary Air Supply system. (Air pump had been done earlier.) I used my scanner to turn off the trouble codes and they stayed off. For icing on the cake I got new tires and an alignment. The car never ran better. It’s a total pleasure to drive it. The CEL stays off, it’s just great.

On May 28, I took it in for emissions test, and it showed too many monitors not completed. They returned my money, and told me to “drive it normally for a week.” One week is not inclined to work for the ’98 V70, but I have some time to figure things out. 6 monitors are not complete: Catalyst, Evaporative, secondary air supply, O2 sensors, O2 sensor heater, and EGR.

One source describes a step that is not a monitor but must be done first, called flywheel adaptation. You let the car slow from 3000 rpm to 1000 in 3rd gear. The one web post said 8 times would be enough, but I did it about 25 times. A lady showed me a nice road with wide shoulders for the Amish buggies. No buggies were harmed as we didn’t see any. So that was done 11 days and about 150 miles ago. In total, I have driven over 1100 miles since resetting the trouble codes, with some long highway stretches.

I have not run the intricate drive cycle yet, because it looks really tough based on where we live. I would almost need to get a hotel room in another county in order to start with engine cold, drive at steady throttle 17 miles, etc, etc. Shouldn’t I see some progress? Is there some sensor that could be defective or marginal such that the monitors don’t complete? If it’s something like that, I better use the dealer’s skilled service (Martens Cars). All comments welcome.
Last Edit: 1 year 1 month ago by jworthey.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Monitor readiness problem in 1998 V70 1 year 1 month ago #732

• gdill3
  • Thank you received: 29
Hello again, Jim.

Your '98 V70 is specifically listed as exempt from incomplete monitors.

See Table 1a (TABLE 1a The EIS Ignores Monitor Readiness Status)...

www.rlescalambre.com/APPENDIX_J.htm

You do not need to complete the complicated driving cycle.

During the test the tech will get a prompt to do the OBDII test and should enter "NO" to continue the inspection.

"..., bypass the test by answering “No” to the OBD II functional test prompt..."

George Dill

Re: Monitor readiness problem in 1998 V70 1 year 1 month ago #733

• jworthey
  • Fresh Boarder
This is a test, because I am having trouble posting. I get a 403 error.

Added later in edit: Next couple posts are a side discussion about the error. Then we get back to the OBD2 readiness issue.
Last Edit: 1 year 1 month ago by jworthey. Reason: add a note

Re: Monitor readiness problem in 1998 V70 1 year 1 month ago #734

• gdill3
jworthey wrote:

Yeah - forum limits on url length.

Let's say you have a link with a ton of characters in the uniform resource line, oh, maybe a google search for exact phrase "Jim Worthey" and must have the word "volvo".

I can't post the url in my reply - too long, so I copy the url then go here...

tinyurl dot com

...and paste the long google url into tiny's window to get this...

tinyurl.com/lgzmvb9

Same for pics to include SIZE of picture - shoot for jpg format only with a size under one meg.

If you keep getting error 403 just email to me the entire reply you wish to submit and I'll give it a try.

Thanks.

George Dill

volvotexasdill at lycos dot com

Re: Monitor readiness problem in 1998 V70 1 year 1 month ago #735

• gdill3
jworthey wrote:

www.wiki-errors.com/err.php?wiki=403

George Dill

Re: Monitor readiness problem in 1998 V70 1 year 1 month ago #738

• jworthey
  • Fresh Boarder
George and all,
Thanks for comment. The appendix J that you link appears to be a California document. One might assume some uniformity across states and that is probably right. Here are three federal documents that by their wording are giving guidance to the states:

OBD Readiness, EPA, Jan 2008 ;
OBD Readiness, EPA, May 2011. ;
OBD Readiness, EPA, June 2012. .

Looking at the Volvos in each document, one sees that the authorities are not afraid to reach back in time and change the rules on cars made in the earliest days of OBD2.

Here is a Maryland document that turns up: bit.ly/179VvJE It's from 1992, but my 1998 model car was built in '97.

I can't support this, except by the 2008 federal document above, but I have a feeling that in the past Maryland may have given the 1998 Volvo a pass with 2 or 3 monitors not ready. When I was at the emissions test, I spoke to a supervisor who did not seem to know about any special status for certain Volvos. As the test was actually being run, I was instructed to stand in a tiny office that had the computer display. The computer knew the particulars of the car: make, model, VIN, and it briefly displayed each thing being checked. The criteria must be in the software.

I’d welcome any information about the Maryland rules. But the other issue is that I have 6 monitors not ready. SIX, listed in the first post. Is this normal? If I do some highway driving, will a couple of them complete, and then a couple more? If so, I better go someplace. Is it not normal? Is it possible that some component is holding me back? Then maybe the dealer can diagnose and fix.

Those are my questions. Long drives? Boldly try to do the drive cycle? Go straight to the dealer?
Attachments:
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.275 seconds

We have 154 guests and one member online

• heidi1408
You are here: Home Forum FWD & AWD Forums S70, V70 & V70XC - (1998-2000) Monitor readiness problem in 1998 V70