Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1998 V70 owner, very hypothetical question

1998 V70 owner, very hypothetical question 2 years 7 months ago #219

• jworthey
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi. I may have been a member for 20 years, but have not gotten out and met anybody. But, I get a big kick out of Rolling.

I have a very hypothetical question. I have a 1998 model V70 which I drive here in Maryland. I drove it off the dealer's lot on 1997 July 26. It has a manual transmission, and the non-turbo 5-cylinder engine. By great luck, it has never been in a collision, except for a couple taps to the bumper. I used to drive 10,000 miles per year, but now my usage is closer to 5000. I suppose that's severe duty, since much of the driving is short trips.

The mileage right now is a little under 100 thousand. I wax the car each October, so it's shiny, though it could use touchup paint in a couple spots. In spite of Maryland winters, it has no rust that I'm aware of.

My thought has been that the car will be 20 years old in July 2017, and on June 1 that year my house will be paid off. At that time, I'll be 73 years old, so if I want to have one more new car before I'm too feeble to drive, that would be the time to buy it.

If my luck holds out, and this blue metallic stick shift non-turbo 1998 V70 is still in good shape, with 125,000 miles on it, will it be of special interest as a hobby car? I'm not too concerned about getting a better price, but whether I should plan to offer the car through Rolling magazine for example, or just trade it in.

My understanding is that few manual transmissions were sold in 1998, and even fewer have been sold since. I did just get a new clutch with its actuator and even new Volvo gear lube in the transmission itself.

Maybe this is a dumb question, or maybe it will spark some discussion. Thanks!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: 1998 V70 owner, very hypothetical question 2 years 7 months ago #220

• gdill3
  • Thank you received: 30
2017 - You are planning ahead, always a sign of good health - both you and the Volvo.

I faced this very quandary back in 2008 when I retired. At that time I had not bought a new car since 1968 (Olds) and my daily-drivers were old Volvos rescued from recycle (120, 140, 240, and 960).

By 2009 I had sold the award-winning show car (1968 P220 122S wagon Estate Kombi) and traded the perfect 1996 960 wagon for a new 2009 Subaru Forester then bought a Junker Ford pickup for $800 and have not looked back since.

My view? Don't wait for 2017 and don't worry about being too feeble to drive.

You have bonded with your V70 (just as I did with my first Volvo, a 1962 122S sedan in 1969 and all those following Volvos - about 26 total) and you will find it difficult to pass the car on to others.

Indeed, a manual-shift V70 is a rarity - any grandkids that can/will drive a stick?

Consider starting 2012 by visiting the site for your favorite Maryland-based Volvo dealer and click through the timeline for OSD (overseas delivery) on a 2012 Volvo V70 built to your specifications.

Ever been to Sweden in the summer?...

images.google.com/search?q=sweden+summer&tbm=isch&hl=en&imgsz=&imgar=&imgtype=&imgsrc=&imgc=&imgcc=&cr=&safe=images&biw=1536&bih=761&sei=ZWfrTue_HcqysALgzvywCQ

George Dill

Re: 1998 V70 owner, very hypothetical question 2 years 7 months ago #231

• jworthey
  • Fresh Boarder
George,
Overseas delivery always looks like fun. I don't have any special connection to Scandinavia, but I'm sure it's really scenic.

In some ways, the 1998 V70 is just broken in. The manual transmission felt like the corners on the gears were too square and perfect. Nobody else noticed, but I did. It took years to get beyond that.

Now it drops into gear smoothly and drives very well overall. All club members will know what I mean. What could be better than a low-mileage 14-year old car? But I try to enjoy it without being too crazy about it. Maybe 20 years will be enough.

My thinking is, when I'm 73, 20 years will be enough. But for some younger club member, somebody who can do a little more of the maintenance himself, maybe 20 years is not nearly enough. Somebody who has a little more space to work.

It's amazing how this 1998 model has held up. The previous car was a 1984 model diesel, sold off the lot in 1985 and bought by me slightly used in 1986. After 12 years in Maryland, that car was rusting apart. I sold it to a friend, but in a couple more years it went to the crusher. After more than 14 years, the V70 has no rust that I'm aware of. Parts wear out, but can be replaced. It is doing really well.

That's the background of my question. Maybe, just maybe, the V70 will still be in nice shape in 2017. Maybe a Volvo hobbyist will notice that. And maybe he would actually like the stick shift.

And there's a practical element. If there's a chance that somebody wants it, I can post another question. I do wax the car every October and it is shiny. But how can I repair the little damaged spots in the paint? Touchup paint plus a power buffer? Is it that simple? There are no rust spots, but there are little dots where the clear coat and the blue paint are compromised.

Thanks for all comments.

Re: 1998 V70 owner, very hypothetical question 2 years 7 months ago #239

• c_long20
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 8
I would hope that you would sell it through Rolling or some other Volvo venue. Just so the car would stay in the Volvo family. If it's traded it will definitely see the crusher. That's just a waste of the last of the real Volvos.

Good to see the 5 year plan in effect. ;-)

Re: 1998 V70 owner, very hypothetical question 2 years 4 months ago #376

• klausc
  • Fresh Boarder
Do not even think about trading the car in. You will get nothing for it. Sell it either in Rolling or Autotrader when you are ready. Since about 1988, Volvos no longer have body rust because of the galvanizing process. But paint chips can be repaired, either by yourself with touch up paint or a professional dent remover - not a body shop.

There are people around who would take your wagon and toss in a T5 motor, but I like the power ratio that is already there from your 168bhp wagon. The clutch is good for another 100K miles, the tranny is unlimited miles. Remember, you have a very good car!

Re: 1998 V70 owner, very hypothetical question 2 years 7 months ago #228

• brick-a-brac
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 5
While you are correct that Volvo generally imported few cars with manual transmissions in the 850/X70 model cycle, the weight of any potential collectability will rest with a combination of rarity and desirability. The model that would seem to fit this combination is the sleeper T5M. In 1998, Volvo brought fewer than 500 S and V70 T5Ms into the US: about 300 were sedans and fewer than 150 were wagons.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.334 seconds

We have 128 guests and no members online

You are here: Home Forum FWD & AWD Forums S70, V70 & V70XC - (1998-2000) 1998 V70 owner, very hypothetical question