Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: C-70 Brake Dust

C-70 Brake Dust 2 years 10 months ago #124

• dreusser
  • Fresh Boarder
Have owned many vehicles with 2/4 wheel disc brakes and the front wheels consistently get black with dust. I recently purchased a 2010 C-70. The front wheels stay completely clean and the back wheels are consistently black with dust. The car stops great and there are no other abnormalities. At the last service, I asked the technician to check both the front and rear brake adjustment but everything was normal and the pads showed normal wear. Is there something with the aerodynamics at the front of the car that forces air around/through the front wheel assembly to keep brake dust from forming or is this just a weird a C-70 phenomenon? Would like to know if others have had this experience?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: C-70 Brake Dust 2 years 10 months ago #126

• brick-a-brac
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 5
Volvo pads tend to be quite soft -- and therefore quiet -- so they also leave a lot of dust. I'm not sure why you are seeing more dust accumulate on the rear wheels, but I'd keep an eye out in case the rear calipers are binding.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dreusser

Re: C-70 Brake Dust 2 years 10 months ago #129

• dreusser
  • Fresh Boarder
That was my initial thought and why I asked the technician to check the settings on both front and back ... just doesn't seem logical that the fronts are always totally clean and the backs are continually black with dust. Would love it if there was NO dust on either front or back but know that is too much to ask for. Will be keeping an eye on this going forward. Would appreciate hearing from other C-70 owners to find out if this is normal or abnormal.

Re: C-70 Brake Dust 2 years 10 months ago #148

• Ibrown51
  • Fresh Boarder
I have a 2000 C70, and my issue is just the opposite. On my car the front brakes produce all the dust and I am constantly cleaning them. The rear brakes produce very little dust and wheels remain clean. I'm unsure if its because of the design. :huh: :huh:

Re: C-70 Brake Dust 2 years 10 months ago #149

• dreusser
  • Fresh Boarder
As I mentioned in my initial post, any car I have owned with front wheel disc brakes have always had brake dust on the wheels ... just the way it is ... German vehicles are especially bad (soft pads) ... what I started doing on my C70 is taking the extra time to really clean all 4 wheels (even using the ole tooth brush) and then putting a thick application of wheel wax to the wheels. Even though it takes additional time, I found you can then go to the 25 cent car wash and use the high pressure hose (with soap) and it seems to blast most of the brake dust off the wheels in a short time. I still wash the C70 by hand at home in the driveway but have found I don't need to spend nearly as much time cleaning the wheels as I blast them once a week at the car wash first. Out of curiosity, how many miles do you have on your C70. I'm looking forward to keeping mine for years and wondered if you have experienced any abnormalities. I also have a 1990 740 Turbo Wagon with only 110K and am continually amazed at the reliability! Thanks for your reply ... I enjoy hearing from other Volvo, especially C70, owners.

Re: C-70 Brake Dust 2 years 10 months ago #150

• RK22908
  • Junior Boarder
I own a C30 with the same rear dust accumulation. I have been told Volvo sets the front/rear brake force distribution, with a rear brake bias, to reduce "nose dip" when braking hard. Volvo uses a composite pad, but the dust is nothing like on my XC70. My V50 is set up like the C30.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.334 seconds

We have 141 guests and no members online