Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Towing with S80 Sedan

Towing with S80 Sedan 10 months 1 week ago #963

• alphacat63
  • Fresh Boarder
New guy here- I'm seriously considering buying a Volvo S80 in the near future. I understand that it is supposedly capable of towing up to 3300lbs. I have a small travel trailer which weighs 2500lbs (dry). All the stuff we have in it adds just a couple hundred lbs more. I am probably going to need a weight distribution hitch to tow this camper with the S80. Proble is, I cannot seem to find a class III hitch to fit this car, let alone one that is rated for use with a weight dist hitch. Anybody else towing with the S80? What about equipment? Are there any sources out there I may have missed?
Thanks
You must register to gain posting privileges.

Towing with S80 Sedan 10 months 1 week ago #970

• gdill3
  • Thank you received: 32
alphacat63 wrote:
New guy here- I'm seriously considering buying a Volvo S80 in the near future. I understand that it is supposedly capable of towing up to 3300lbs. I have a small travel trailer which weighs 2500lbs (dry). All the stuff we have in it adds just a couple hundred lbs more. I am probably going to need a weight distribution hitch to tow this camper with the S80. Proble is, I cannot seem to find a class III hitch to fit this car, let alone one that is rated for use with a weight dist hitch. Anybody else towing with the S80? What about equipment? Are there any sources out there I may have missed?
Thanks

Yup, S80 will tow 3,300lbs with a 2" ball, trailer brakes AND Volvo-only hitch.

Looking through the Owner's manual...

esd.volvocars.com/local/us/2011-Volvo-S80-Owners-Manual.pdf

...one sees the restrictions placed on towing - max 50mph, etc.

To reach that 3,300 capacity the trailer MUST have independent brakes and the car's brakes must not be directly connected to the trailer's.

Even with the V8 the car will be under a strain to tow 3,300lbs to include brakes and transmission. It is common to see the "Trans too hot" warning during a long uphill and hot brakes going down.

BTAIM, go for it then post here with pictures of the winter camp-out in the Idaho Rockies.

George Dill
Last Edit: 10 months 1 week ago by gdill3. Reason: BTFOOM!
You must register to gain posting privileges.
Time to create page: 0.261 seconds

We have 144 guests and one member online

• azlkk
You are here: Home Forum FWD & AWD Forums S80 (2007-Current) Towing with S80 Sedan