Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Any tips for a new Volvo owner?

Any tips for a new Volvo owner? 4 months 1 day ago #1245

I just picked up my very first Volvo today! It's a 1997 960 and I am liking it already. I've got a bunch of fond memories of hanging out with my buddies as a teen in their 1992 Volvo 240, so when I saw a Volvo come on the local market the nostalgia swayed me pick it up (...all Volvos being rare in my small, backwater Oregon town).

That all being said, my vehicle already has 214,000 miles on it, so I feel as if I should take some special precautions to keep her in good working order. If you were in my shoes, buying a 17 year old Volvo (that appears to have been taken descent care of), what would you inspect first for preventative maintenance first? Is this model infamous for a faulty component or two?

This is my first post, be gentle. :)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Any tips for a new Volvo owner? 4 months 1 day ago #1246

• gdill3
  • Thank you received: 31
Boondoggler wrote:
I just picked up my very first Volvo today! It's a 1997 960 and I am liking it already. I've got a bunch of fond memories of hanging out with my buddies as a teen in their 1992 Volvo 240, so when I saw a Volvo come on the local market the nostalgia swayed me pick it up (...all Volvos being rare in my small, backwater Oregon town).

That all being said, my vehicle already has 214,000 miles on it, so I feel as if I should take some special precautions to keep her in good working order. If you were in my shoes, buying a 17 year old Volvo (that appears to have been taken descent care of), what would you inspect first for preventative maintenance first? Is this model infamous for a faulty component or two?

This is my first post, be gentle. :)

Welcome to the forum.

Your new 960 is the last of Volvo's RWD premium models and has many refinements and amenities.

My long-gone '96 965 was my first car with power windows, seats, etc.

As to problem areas - keep up the change intervals on the timing belt and tensioners and you have eliminated the primary cause of non-performance.

Avoid gas and oil additives and use only OE parts to make repairs.

If not already test all the AC/heat controls for proper operation as time takes its toll on the under-dash bellows. This would be a major repair with huge labor charges.

The driver's power seat is known for acting up. This is usually a slipped cable problem and can be owner-repaired.

Some repair parts are very $$$ for example the ABS control module.

If your car has the rear Nivomats suspension keep an eye on the proper function. Many owners have converted their Nivos to conventional shocks.

Below is a link to some 960 problems/solutions info.

If possible post up some pics in the Gallery and keep this thread active with updates.

Thanks.

George Dill

tinyurl.com/lseauo3

tinyurl.com/kgzwcck
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Time to create page: 0.512 seconds

We have 51 guests and one member online

• suppo176
You are here: Home Forum RWD Forums 940, 960, S90 & V90 (1990-1998) Any tips for a new Volvo owner?