Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: 1975 242 Passenger Side Mirror

1975 242 Passenger Side Mirror 1 year 5 months ago #638

• jj_242
  • Fresh Boarder
Anyone have any tips/hints for locating a decently priced passenger side mirror for a 1975 242?

Going this route would cost over $250...
www.swedishautoparts.com/240/Volvo-240-mirrors.html

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
-Jason
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: 1975 242 Passenger Side Mirror 1 year 5 months ago #639

• gdill3
  • Thank you received: 30
jj_242 wrote:
Anyone have any tips/hints for locating a decently priced passenger side mirror for a 1975 242?

Going this route would cost over $250...
www.swedishautoparts.com/240/Volvo-240-mirrors.html

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
-Jason

Welcome to the Forum, Jason.

First-year 242 - fairly rare Volvo nowadays.

Ebay is currently showing no 240 mirrors and a new unit that is an exact-fit for your coupe is NLA unless you see $400+ as reasonable for a mirror - NOT!

These Volvo-only salvage folks in Sacramento...

sawvolvo.com/

...should have what you seek and shipping would be reasonable anywhere USA.

Let us know what you find.

Thanks.

George Dill

Re: 1975 242 Passenger Side Mirror 1 year 5 months ago #641

• jj_242
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks for the heads up. I did some research and realized that the mirrors on these years are reversible, so they fit either side. I did some digging through the previous owner's extensive box of records and found an extra mirror!

Now I just need to try to find the exterior 'surround' plate to mount it with. In the meanwhile I'm now having an issue with getting the passenger side door latch to stay shut that has moved the mirror down the priority list :(

Re: 1975 242 Passenger Side Mirror 1 year 5 months ago #643

• gdill3
  • Thank you received: 30
jj_242 wrote:
Thanks for the heads up. I did some research and realized that the mirrors on these years are reversible, so they fit either side. I did some digging through the previous owner's extensive box of records and found an extra mirror!

Now I just need to try to find the exterior 'surround' plate to mount it with. In the meanwhile I'm now having an issue with getting the passenger side door latch to stay shut that has moved the mirror down the priority list :(

This is a common malady and usually found in the driver's door due to usage.

If the hinges show extensive wear any adjustments to the striker/plate will be for naught.

Also, the handle mechanism inside the door may be worn and/or malfunctioning.

When the door is fully closed do its edges sit flush with the body or stick out/sink in?

With the door closed can you lift on the door frame (window open) and cause the door to move?

If you decide to attempt adjustmens to the striker/plate be sure to use exact-fit tools as a stripped screw head is a tough repair.

George Dill
Last Edit: 1 year 5 months ago by gdill3.

Re: 1975 242 Passenger Side Mirror 1 year 4 months ago #672

• jj_242
  • Fresh Boarder
The door fits pretty flush, and I can't get any wiggle out of the hinges, so I'm hoping that it's just an adjustment to the striker plate and/or door handle mechanism.

I actually found a NHTSA recall for this issue for 1975 Volvos, and the dealer told me that they would take a look at it to see what they could do.
Time to create page: 0.710 seconds

We have 228 guests and one member online

• JML54
You are here: Home Forum RWD Forums 240, 242, 244 & 245 (1974-1993) 1975 242 Passenger Side Mirror