Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Tires

Tires 1 year 7 months ago #597

• Gold164E
  • Fresh Boarder
Car shop is trying to talk me into going from 175/65/15 to 185/60/15. Any thoughts out there. I drive the car almost every day but rare that I drive long distances at a time.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Tires 1 year 7 months ago #598

• gdill3
  • Thank you received: 31
Gold164E wrote:
Car shop is trying to talk me into going from 175/65/15 to 185/60/15. Any thoughts out there. I drive the car almost every day but rare that I drive long distances at a time.

Hello again, Jose.

Looking back at your previous posts we see you have been shopping for new wheels on your 164 - did you get the Virgos?

Also, what ever became of that gentleman in England with parts for sale?

If you are still running the stock 15" steel Volvo wheel then the 185/60/15 is a bit wide but would still be ok for daily driving if the new tire is All Season.

Let us know the specs (diameter, width, etc.) for the wheels currently on the car, your budget for four new tires and your driving environment.

Thanks.

George Dill

Re: Tires 1 year 7 months ago #599

• Gold164E
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks for the response.

I purchased 4 Virgo rims with caps. After much deliberation, I decided to keep the car in "stock" condition. So I have resprayed the car to its original gold and will keep making improvements with this in mind. The only modification is to change out the horn grills with stock Hella foglights. (You can see some pictures of the car in the SW Florida Chapter event "Palms".) The car looks great and runs well but as you know, a never ending project.

As far as wheels, I still have the original 15" wheels. The 175's are harder to find and more expensive than the suggested 185/60's. I drive around town and do some highway driving as well but probably won't put on more than 5K this year. Would like to drive to some shows as well but just enjoy driving the car. I am looking at some Firestone Affinity Touring tires. It appears that I have plenty of clearance on 185's and maybe even slightly improve the driving and handling. At the end of the day, I can still do the 175's for just a little bit more money.

As far as the guy from England... I think this was a scam. This person found my add for tailight housings on this site. Not sure how, but must have member access. Nevertheless, He wouldn't produce pictures and wanted me to wire him the money. I backed out of the deal.

I am still looking for some parts for the car. It's a daily search for me and with a bit of patience I can still find good deals, though the quality is not always great. I would like to rebuild my engine and not sure if I am better off getting a scrap engine and rebuilding or just the one on the car. Then I have 2 engines. I still see some 164's for sale but would feel guilty tearing down a good car. (Plus my space is limited to tearing down a whole vehicle.) Thanks for all your feedback.

Re: Tires 1 year 7 months ago #600

• Gold164E
  • Fresh Boarder
George,

By the way, I know live in Ft Lauderdale, FL. I doubt that the car will ever see snow again. Just looking for some all weather tires. Good deals on Tire Rack and other web sites.

Thanks,

Jose

Re: Tires 1 year 7 months ago #601

• tailfin
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4
Hi Jose,

I have had this issue on several occasions and decided to up-size to the wider tire choice in both cases and I was glad I did. One vehicle (may have been my gold 164) had the standard 5 1/2" steel rims and the 185/60s worked fine. The second car ('72 1800E) has Dayton wires which they made to my specs and I up-sized from 185 to 195.

The lower profile is naturally smaller in diameter and will affect your speedo. It will report that you are going faster than you really are, so you should time it to verify. It will probably be something like 57 mph actual while displaying 60.

But, you will notice with more rubber on the road that it corners better! :)

Have fun!

Ed
I want to die like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car.
Time to create page: 0.277 seconds

We have 108 guests and no members online