Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: 164 Windshield Replacement Crisis

164 Windshield Replacement Crisis 3 months 1 week ago #1344

Hello Everyone,

I've owned a 1972 164 for a year now. The windshield has been severely cracked since I got it, and the previous owner stated it has been cracked the same for years. Since it is so old, I can't find a replacement. National chains can't provide a replacement or repair it, specialty Volvo shops in Colorado have no where to send me, and I can't find a used one anywhere.

My question is, are the dimensions of a 164 windshield the same as other '70s era Volvo models? If I find a 144, 142, or perhaps a later 240 model at a junkyard, would that windshield fit my car? I know most dimensions of these cars stayed the same through the 1970s, but not sure about the windshield. Any insight would be great.
You must register to gain posting privileges.

164 Windshield Replacement Crisis 3 months 1 week ago #1345

• gdill3
  • Thank you received: 33
coloradobuckeye wrote:
Hello Everyone,

I've owned a 1972 164 for a year now. The windshield has been severely cracked since I got it, and the previous owner stated it has been cracked the same for years. Since it is so old, I can't find a replacement. National chains can't provide a replacement or repair it, specialty Volvo shops in Colorado have no where to send me, and I can't find a used one anywhere.

My question is, are the dimensions of a 164 windshield the same as other '70s era Volvo models? If I find a 144, 142, or perhaps a later 240 model at a junkyard, would that windshield fit my car? I know most dimensions of these cars stayed the same through the 1970s, but not sure about the windshield. Any insight would be great.

The Volvo Part Number for the front windscreen on a Volvo 164 is 1247925.

Call/email here...

Phone (877) 468 - 5305 8am-5pm CST M-F, 10am-4pm CS

sales at volvopartswebstore dot com

...as they show one is stock at $303.46 plus $28.95 ship to CO.

www.volvopartswebstore.com/products/Windshield/1102505/1247925.html

If no go post back here.

Thanks.

George Dill
Last Edit: 3 months 1 week ago by gdill3. Reason: edit3

164 Windshield Replacement Crisis 3 months 6 days ago #1346

OK, great. I'll look into this...and try to convince my wife this is worth it!

164 Windshield Replacement Crisis 3 months 6 days ago #1348

• gdill3
  • Thank you received: 33
coloradobuckeye wrote:
OK, great. I'll look into this...and try to convince my wife this is worth it!

Might try calling a nearby major city auto body shop that does tons of business and has a good reputation.

Such a place has numerous instant contacts for locating hard-to-find auto glass.

The install probably includes new trim, clips, seal and adhesive - all not cheap and not readily locatable.

Looking here...

tinyurl.com/lp9e6cj

...change the Position in Vehicle drop-down from 140 to 164 then notice other windshield options (reference ONLY) to include the needed clips, etc. for proper installation.

Yes, the 140 and '75-only 240 have the same windshield arrangement as the 164 but not necessarily the same clips and seal.

Removing the old glass invariably destroys the clips, seals and (sometimes) the trim.

This is why I usually recommend having a shop do the install.

You will be lucky to enjoy a new, no-leak windshield for under $500 but that's peanuts considering what you will put into the car in the next thirty years!

George Dill
The following user(s) said Thank You: coloradobuckeye
Time to create page: 0.248 seconds

We have 82 guests and one member online

• 70s1V2XCs
You are here: Home Forum RWD Forums 142, 144, 145 & 164 (1966-1975) 164 Windshield Replacement Crisis