Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 142S Gas Smell in Cabin

142S Gas Smell in Cabin 2 years 9 months ago #153

I am having an issue with a strong gas smell in the cabin of my 1970, 142 when the car is running especially when the tank is over half full. I checked the engine compartment for obvious leaks and the fuel pump "looks" brand new. Also if the car sits for more than a few hours it doesn't want to start. Any advise would be appreciated.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: 142S Gas Smell in Cabin 2 years 9 months ago #156

• gdill3
  • Thank you received: 29
Carbs are Strombergs - no? These may have temperature-related fuel metering which could cause hard cold starts.

Check the filler neck and vent and look under/around the gas tank for indications of leaks.

Remove the trunk floor and check the seal on the sender unit connection.

Look at the trunk lid seal - compressed and hard or soft and sealing thoroughly.

George Dill

Re: 142S Gas Smell in Cabin 2 years 9 months ago #158

The carbs are Strobergs and the mechanic said something about a warm weather adaptation because the car lived in Mobile, Al before it came north. The trunk seal seems to have been recently replaced with a seal that is too thick causing the lid to be mal-aligned and stick up too far. One of the projects I would like to do soon is replace all the seals because they are in bad shape. Any good places to buy them? I will inspect the other areas mentioned.

We will start there for now!

Re: 142S Gas Smell in Cabin 2 years 9 months ago #159

• brick-a-brac
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 5
Check VP Auto Parts (www.vp-autoparts.com). Also GCP in Sweden (www.gcp.se).

Re: 142S Gas Smell in Cabin 2 years 9 months ago #162

I checked all of these things and the only obvious thing that I see is that there is a small hose on the top of the filler neck that is hanging in the breeze. The rest of the fuel system looks good where does the free end of this hose connect to. What is the purpose of the small tank under the trunk lid rail. There is a nipple that looks fuel line size there that is free. I will try to attach the line there and see what happens. What next?

Re: 142S Gas Smell in Cabin 2 years 9 months ago #157

• brick-a-brac
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 5
Check the lines at the tank, as these have a tendency to work loose -- especially the hose from the filler neck.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.265 seconds

We have 173 guests and no members online