Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: 1972 164 E idle

1972 164 E idle 7 months 17 hours ago #1185

• brucew9987
  • Fresh Boarder
Hello,

I have a 1972 164 E with 188,000 miles that when started idles at high rpm...Volvo mechanic said he does not know how to fix it..it is hard on the transmission to shift into drive when it is idling so high!! Not counting the wear on the brakes when it slams into gear...it does it 8 out of 10 times usually...every once in a while it idles normal...not often...any ideas...
Thanks,

Bruce
Attachments:
You must register to gain posting privileges.

1972 164 E idle 7 months 2 hours ago #1186

• brick-a-brac
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 5
Hi Bruce --

First, we need to establish if you still have the original Bosch D-jet injection system in the car. From the sound of your issue, I would guess that it is, and if that is the case, you will want to begin by looking for any sort of air/vacuum leak. The most common place for this to occur is at the intake/exhaust gasket. The next stop once you've eliminated an air leak is checking the timing, valve adjustment, etc.

Once you've determined the overall condition of the mechanicals, your next step should be to check the auxiliary air valve, which is located on the passenger side of the head, toward the front and just below the thermostat. This valve has a direct bearing on cold running behavior, as it senses coolant temperature and adjusts fast idle accordingly. When cold, the plunger-style valve inside the housing is open, allowing for additional airflow through the intake; as the engine warms, this plunger closes, thereby closing off this extra airflow and lowering idle speed. Over time, the valve gets gummed up and can stick in either the open or closed position, which would make the car either run too fast (open) or barely run at all when cold (closed).

At this point in your 164's life, you may want to go through the entire injection system (i.e., sending injectors out to be cleaned and flow-tested, testing out various components to be sure the resistance is still within spec, examining the electrical harness for splits, brittleness, as this piece is now available in reproduction). Let me know if you need further help with any of this, as I've been there with my 142E over the last couple of years.

Keep us posted.

Phil
Last Edit: 7 months 2 hours ago by brick-a-brac.

1972 164 E idle 6 months 4 weeks ago #1191

• gdill3
  • Thank you received: 33
Another welcome to the Forum, Bruce;

Vacuum leak indeed - and below is a search link with a ton of hits discussing just that same high idle problem.

Phil has you headed in the right direction.

Do you have any paper repair/troubleshooting manuals on-hand?

George Dill

tinyurl.com/msvzw8h

1972 164 E idle 6 months 4 weeks ago #1192

• brucew9987
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks guys, I have the original manual that came with the car...bought it from the original owner who kept all receipts...told him in 1986 I liked his care and if he ever wanted to sell it, call me...heard from him Christmas 2012...and bought it... :)

It is at the mechanic now with dead battery...checking to see if alternator is good, etc. When I stop by there I am going to take this info with me and ask if he has done any of the things listed by you guys...

Also, is there anywhere to get rotors for the 1972 164 E? I had the old ones turned once more, but not sure how long that will last...

Thanks a million...appreciate it! Great info Phil and George...

Bruce

1972 164 E idle 6 months 3 weeks ago #1195

• tailfin
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4
Hello Bruce,

One thing you might want to check that is often overlooked is the auxiliary air regulator. It can also stick open and allow too much air to enter the plenum. Take a look at this: the regulator is mentioned at the end.

Setting idle on a B20F D-Jetronic FI system

Good luck!

Ed
I want to die like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car.

1972 164 E idle 6 months 3 weeks ago #1196

• brucew9987
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks, heading up to talk to the mechanic now...will post results when I get them...

Bruce
Time to create page: 0.320 seconds

We have 78 guests and no members online