Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: B18/B20 Engine needed

B18/B20 Engine needed 5 months 3 weeks ago #929

I bought my first 544 in Mendocino, CA. It was worn out, and a timing chain parked it. Then I got a '65 with a B20. It was my beautiful daily driver for 27 years. Troubles with the SUs were finally solved with a Weber. Then, three years ago, there was a horrible accident which sent me on a frantic parts search around the Bay Area (CA). I couldn't find all the parts, but when things escalated to buying a parts car, I found the best yet, a '64 544. It didn't have the B20 and the Weber, but this was THE CAR.

Eight months ago, the camshaft in my "new" '64 died. Another search turned up a '67 B18 with a Weber in a junkyard in Watsonville. It went north to my mechanic in Rohnert Park and into the '64. This was an expensive and lengthy transplant, but three weeks in a rental car made it clear that I was an impostor behind the wheel of anything but a 544.

Unfortunately, my car didn't get the rebuilt motor it deserves. It's using a lot of oil and my trusted mechanic says the engine needs rings. Time and money prohibit a lengthy rebuild. I do have the B18 that originally came in the car. The wish list could include a B18 or a B20. I have THE CAR and the Weber.
Thanks for reading! I'd like to hear from members who have ideas, sources or alternatives.
Attachments:
The administrator has disabled public write access.

B18/B20 Engine needed 5 months 3 weeks ago #930

• gdill3
  • Thank you received: 21
Leslie Swallow wrote:
I bought my first 544 in Mendocino, CA. It was worn out, and a timing chain parked it. Then I got a '65 with a B20. It was my beautiful daily driver for 27 years. Troubles with the SUs were finally solved with a Weber. Then, three years ago, there was a horrible accident which sent me on a frantic parts search around the Bay Area (CA). I couldn't find all the parts, but when things escalated to buying a parts car, I found the best yet, a '64 544. It didn't have the B20 and the Weber, but this was THE CAR.

Eight months ago, the camshaft in my "new" '64 died. Another search turned up a '67 B18 with a Weber in a junkyard in Watsonville. It went north to my mechanic in Rohnert Park and into the '64. This was an expensive and lengthy transplant, but three weeks in a rental car made it clear that I was an impostor behind the wheel of anything but a 544.

Unfortunately, my car didn't get the rebuilt motor it deserves. It's using a lot of oil and my trusted mechanic says the engine needs rings. Time and money prohibit a lengthy rebuild. I do have the B18 that originally came in the car. The wish list could include a B18 or a B20. I have THE CAR and the Weber.
Thanks for reading! I'd like to hear from members who have ideas, sources or alternatives.

Welcome to the Forum, Leslie.

This car appears to be your only transportation - yes?

If so resolving the oil burning in the car's current engine will require another rental or the purchase/loan of alternate transportation plus much time and not a little money.

If you plan to keep this PV long-term consider installing a fully-rebuilt B20. Avoid the Weber unless you or the mechanic are fully versed in tuning that carb. Twin SU HS6 carbs with the correct needles may be a better arrangement.

It is possible that a hurry up repair for a cheap price could resolve the problem but the odds are against such.

George Dill
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Time to create page: 0.294 seconds

We have 151 guests and no members online

You are here: Home Forum RWD Forums PV 444 / 544 B18/B20 Engine needed