Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Motor oil for track days

Motor oil for track days 3 months 2 weeks ago #1053

Hi,

I have recently acquired a '68 122 with a B20 2.2l engine with dual Weber 45DCOE carbs. My goal with this ride is to tune it up for track days. What brand and grade of motor oil should I be running? I am in SoCal and outside air temperatures will average 60-80 degrees from now until April.

Also, my differential is from a P1800 (year & ratio unknown), what oil should I put in there?

Thanks all!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Motor oil for track days 3 months 2 weeks ago #1054

• gdill3
  • Thank you received: 21
Mark_Snelgrove wrote:
Hi,

I have recently acquired a '68 122 with a B20 2.2l engine with dual Weber 45DCOE carbs. My goal with this ride is to tune it up for track days. What brand and grade of motor oil should I be running? I am in SoCal and outside air temperatures will average 60-80 degrees from now until April.

Also, my differential is from a P1800 (year & ratio unknown), what oil should I put in there?

Thanks all!

Welcome to the Forum, Mark.

We are anxious to see your Amazon racer pics and history in the Gallery...

www.vcoa.org/community/galleries

Motor oil for your track days and also ok for the street would be Redline 5W50...

www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=135&pcid=21

Track-only oil would be one of these Redline racing oils...

www.redlineoil.com/Products.aspx?pcid=1

The diff oil depends on the type - no-slip or standard diff.

If you are not sure, safely raise and secure the rear of the car and rotate one wheel. If the other wheel turns in the other direction it is a standard diff.

Once you determine the diff type select one or more of these for racing...

www.redlineoil.com/Products.aspx?pcid=4

Fully-synthetic lubricants for racing only should not be ran long-term on the street.

George Dill
Last Edit: 3 months 2 weeks ago by gdill3. Reason: BTFOOM!

Motor oil for track days 1 month 2 weeks ago #1139

• gdill3
tinyurl.com/lfqnd46

George Dill

Motor oil for track days 1 month 2 weeks ago #1141

Thanks George. Do you have experience with this manufacturer? I am slightly nervous about ordering a radiator from China.

Motor oil for track days 1 month 2 weeks ago #1143

• gdill3
Mark_Snelgrove wrote:
Thanks George. Do you have experience with this manufacturer? I am slightly nervous about ordering a radiator from China.

Me, three.

Given your location in the heart of Classic Volvo Land you may wish to enlist a radiator specialty shop to build a new core for your car's existing radiator shell.

Fittings for a trans cooler would be an easy do plus you could add twin pusher fans up front along with a rotary compressor R134a AC so you could drive to the track in comfort with the OD keeping the spins under 3,000rpm.

George Dill
Time to create page: 0.253 seconds

We have 98 guests and no members online

You are here: Home Forum RWD Forums Pushrod Performance Forum Motor oil for track days