Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Too many colorless cars??

Too many colorless cars?? 1 year 8 months ago #613

• jworthey
  • Fresh Boarder
I just received Rolling magazine for January-February 2013. On the front is a blue XC70. On the back cover is a 1975 244 DL model that's fairly bright green. Starting from the inside front, I see cars that are bronze, red, blue and silver. Then light blue. Farther along, many of the vintage Volvos shown are red or blue.

Now here's my concern. My current car is a 1998 Volvo V70, metallic blue. By some accident, the previous one was a 1984 240 series wagon, in a similar metallic blue. Now I did some web searching just to see what's on the market. What kind of car could I buy if I get new or a few years old, whether now or in 2017? To this end, I looked on a couple dealers' web sites for the used and new cars. The web sites show actual inventory.

What I see is that most of the cars are in colorless colors. The more exact term is achromatic colors. Many are just white and black. Many are silver or gray. Some are designated by a color word such as "platinum," but are very close to the metallic silver color. Now look on www.volvocars.com at the colors for the 2013 XC70. There are black and white non-metallic and 6 metallic colors. Three of the metallics are essentially neutral, then there are blue metallic, bronze metallic, and red metallic.

To me, the blue and red are beautiful, the bronze metallic is a little bland. The other colors are achromatic. The red and blue will show up better in traffic, maybe helping to avoid an accident. I don't see how I could love a white or silver car.

How do others feel about this? I understand that in Dallas, at latitude 32.78 degrees north, people want white and silver cars to reflect the summer heat. I live in Gaithersburg, 39.14 degrees north. Gothenburg is 57.7 north.

I got my current Volvo by special ordering it in 1997. But suppose a person doesn't want to be so demanding? Shop the slightly used as well as the new? But then love a white car?

Of course some other brands are worse. Certain models are 100% achromatic. What kind of trend is this?
Last Edit: 1 year 8 months ago by jworthey. Reason: Small edits for clarity.
You must register to gain posting privileges.

Re: Too many colorless cars?? 1 year 8 months ago #618

• tailfin
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4
Funny you should comment on this. I have been complaining for 15 years or more about the unimaginative colors available for vehicles. Try to find a real green car. As far as I know there are two choices; a Subaru wagon and a Ford pickup. Neither one float my boat.

I was talking about this with the sales rep I purchased my XC70 (Oyster Grey? - blah!) from several years ago and he commented that "if he had to order another black or white car he was going to scream!" Well, of course that's what he continues to do (although, I don't know if he actually does scream).

Unfortunately, from safety standpoint a grey car is the most invisible vehicle at dusk because it blends with the surrounding road surface. So why the proliferation of this color? There's a thesis for someone going for their Masters; examine traffic accidents at dusk and see what percentage of grey vehicles are involved.

I couldn't agree with you more and I thought by now this boring trend would have passed, but I guess that's what Krylon is for...
I want to die like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car.

Re: Too many colorless cars?? 1 year 8 months ago #624

• jworthey
  • Fresh Boarder
It's funny that you mention 15 years. I happen to have the S70 brochure from 15 years ago. Actually it was the 1998 model year, but I got the booklet in 1997. Eleven colors were initially offered. In the non-metallics there were black, white, and a fairly bright red. In the metallics, there were 3 neutral colors, namely light gray, a darker "pewter gray," and a still-darker graphite gray. That left 5 real colors in metallic: blue-green, a deep "nautic blue," regent red, emerald green, and aqua blue.

As it happened, I ordered the regent red but it was discontinued because of the transition to low-pollution paints. They couldn't make that red in the new formulation at the time. So, the total colors were reduced to 10, of which one was the non-metallic red, and 4 were non-neutral metallic colors. (By non-neutral I mean colorful, not white, black, or gray.)

I have a feeling that the bright non-metallic red was reserved for a certain turbo model, but it was out there on the road. My non-turbo V70 has the aqua blue which isn't flashy but is far from gray. The other blue, green, and blue-green look good in the brochure though I don't know how many are on the road. Versus today, they were offering more real variety.

Right now, they offer nice blue and red metallic colors, but few are in the new or used inventory here in suburban Washington DC.

Yes, yes, the colors are a safety issue. Thank you for commenting.

Re: Too many colorless cars?? 1 year 8 months ago #625

• gdill3
  • Thank you received: 33
Can you guess the Y/M for this paint code?...

tinyurl.com/bxdumla

George Dill

Re: Too many colorless cars?? 1 year 8 months ago #626

• jworthey
  • Fresh Boarder
Is it 1980 Volvos? I wouldn't have any more detailed idea.

Re: Too many colorless cars?? 1 year 8 months ago #628

• tailfin
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4
VW/Porche - late '70s early '80s.
I want to die like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car.
Time to create page: 0.285 seconds

We have 146 guests and no members online

You are here: Home Forum General Discussion Off Topic Too many colorless cars??