Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: New/Old '66... sway bars or not?

New/Old '66... sway bars or not? 3 months 3 weeks ago #1371

• krau911
  • Fresh Boarder
Good Evening..I apologize in advance if this topic has been covered in depth. (New VCOA member) I recently purchased a CA '66 1800S / owned a 65 many years ago and longed for another. As a driver it didn't take long before I realized the handling of the 65 was not Lotus like for sure. (I also owned a Europa at the time!) I am leaning towards installing sway bar(s) and or shocks etc to improve the handling. I have seen IDP sway bars adv. in print along w Bilstiens and also read a detailed article about using a different suppliers kit which lowered the car, they also suggested non stock Bilstiens. I prefer not to lower the car. Another new friend of mine has stated that the front shock towers need to be reinforced when using Sway bars or you are in for trouble??? My plan is to use the original wheels and 165s for shows but as a driver put wider tires 185/70s?? on Panasports.

I know there are many ways to skin the cat... but would like some input from members as the best way to go... not a rich man but a few dollars either way doesn't matter. Car will probably not be on the track....but here in Maine we have great sports car roads!!

Sway bars? just front? or front & back? Brand? any car alterations needed to install?

anyone have experience reinforcing front towers? process?

While I have your ear.... my 65 had a Stebro exhaust system... while in my 20s that was great...you could hear me coming 1/4 mile away ..AND one never let off the gas when going by the police :)
Like most car nuts I love exhaust sound (Im now 66) but there is a limit... when mine needs replacing .. what is the verdict of best sound out there for an 1800...

Lastly...who are the best 1800 parts suppliers
66.jpg

out there?

thanks to all for your input and time..I hope to be a contributor down the line

Karl in Maine
You must register to gain posting privileges.

New/Old '66... sway bars or not? 3 months 3 weeks ago #1373

• gdill3
  • Thank you received: 34
Your '66 and the Volvo Amazon (122) have much in common.

Thusly, what applies to one fits the other.

Below are links answering your question plus additional info for your reading pleasure.

George Dill

vclassics.com/contents.htm

vclassics.com/archive/index.html

vclassics.com/archive/wheeltip.htm

sw-em.com/

sw-em.com/techarticles.htm

volvo1800pictures.com/sweden/Volvo_1800_dokumentation_main_page_en.php

New/Old '66... sway bars or not? 3 months 3 weeks ago #1374

• krau911
  • Fresh Boarder
thanks again... looks like George is one of the good guys!!!!!!!!!

New/Old '66... sway bars or not? 3 months 1 week ago #1415

• harveyk
  • Fresh Boarder
Greetings Karl, I have a '66S being restored now here in So. FL. Here's what my cross member looked like:

Here's what it looks like now:

This club and its forums are the BEST! Restorer told me it was just as easy to hide the reinforcements as it would have been to just slap it on top.
Last Edit: 3 months 1 week ago by harveyk.
Time to create page: 0.275 seconds

We have 180 guests and no members online

You are here: Home Forum RWD Forums P1800, 1800S, 1800E/ES New/Old '66... sway bars or not?