Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: speedometer

speedometer 1 year 2 months ago #796

• volvoted
  • Fresh Boarder
On my 72 ES the speedometer sticks around 10 mph until the car gets good and warm, then it seems to work fine. The odometer keeps working all the time. Do I need a speedo cable?
Ted
You must register to gain posting privileges.

Re: speedometer 1 year 2 months ago #797

• gdill3
  • Thank you received: 33
tsjwells@gmail.com wrote:
On my 72 ES the speedometer sticks around 10 mph until the car gets good and warm, then it seems to work fine. The odometer keeps working all the time. Do I need a speedo cable?
Ted

No new cable needed - just move to Texas and the car will always be "good and warm"!

I am working my way through these...

tinyurl.com/oqxvvqu

...searching for your specific problem and a solution.

If you wish to play along, right-click on any one link, open in a new window (browser) then click "Thread Expanded" and you'll get something like this...

www.brickboard.com/RWD/index.htm?id=1397978&show_all=1

...which ain't what we're looking for.

More later.

George Dill
Last Edit: 1 year 2 months ago by gdill3.

Re: speedometer 1 year 2 months ago #798

• volvoted
  • Fresh Boarder
Nova Scotia to Texas is a big move and I don't have air conditioning.

Re: speedometer 1 year 2 months ago #799

• volvoted
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi George
Finally got to the bottom of this issue and solved. My ES did not have the 90 deg. elbow on the trany installed and the cable had some hefty turns to connect. I installed a elbow connection and the speedo works fine now. Not sure why it has worked up till now. Thanks for your help and references to the brickboard.
Ted
ps I believe I met you at the West Coast meet in Lake Tahoe 6 or 7 years ago. I was driving my gray 86 244 home to Alberta from Longbeach Calf. You had a, maybe 65, white wagon.

Re: speedometer 1 year 2 months ago #800

• gdill3
  • Thank you received: 33
tsjwells@gmail.com wrote:
Hi George
Finally got to the bottom of this issue and solved. My ES did not have the 90 deg. elbow on the trany installed and the cable had some hefty turns to connect. I installed a elbow connection and the speedo works fine now. Not sure why it has worked up till now. Thanks for your help and references to the brickboard.
Ted
ps I believe I met you at the West Coast meet in Lake Tahoe 6 or 7 years ago. I was driving my gray 86 244 home to Alberta from Longbeach Calf. You had a, maybe 65, white wagon.

Yup, that be me - the white wagon was a '68 122S original mint buggy now owned by Matt and Jen Harold of Houston, Texas. You may remember the Friday evening dinner where those that "broke down" enroute to Tahoe stood up and told their tale of woe. The generator light lit about 100 miles east of Tahoe and I ran the world's loneliest highway across the desert and up the mountains with no headlights. A fellow Volvo Lover provided new generator brushes and all was well.

Congrats on the speedo repair - any other items need tending on your ES?

George Dill
Last Edit: 1 year 2 months ago by gdill3.

Re: speedometer 1 year 2 months ago #804

• volvoted
  • Fresh Boarder
I just discovered I have a crack in the exhaust manifold not to big , but it is leaking. Not sure if I should try to repair it or replace it. Have heard of JB weld repairs. I want to get everything fixed up for the Vermont trip in Oct. are you going?
Ted
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.249 seconds

We have 132 guests and no members online