Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Volvo P1800 restoration and paint color

Volvo P1800 restoration and paint color 1 year 1 month ago #838

• johnd
  • Fresh Boarder
My 1968 Volvo P1800 will be undergoing a restoration, beginning in a few weeks. It will be stripped down to bare metal and repainted. I am considering the following colors:

California White (Color Code #42)
Pearl White (Color Code #79)

If you have familiarity with either or both of these colors, I'd be interested in any input (pros and cons) you could provide regarding each respective color. Also, I'd be interested to know which of these two colors you like better.

Thanks.

John
You must register to gain posting privileges.

Re: Volvo P1800 restoration and paint color 1 year 1 month ago #839

• gdill3
  • Thank you received: 33
johnd wrote:
My 1968 Volvo P1800 will be undergoing a restoration, beginning in a few weeks. It will be stripped down to bare metal and repainted. I am considering the following colors:

California White (Color Code #42)
Pearl White (Color Code #79)

If you have familiarity with either or both of these colors, I'd be interested in any input (pros and cons) you could provide regarding each respective color. Also, I'd be interested to know which of these two colors you like better.

Thanks.

John

Welcome to the Forum, John.

#42 is like your old refrigerator while #79 has a hint of shade/tone.

Depending on type of new paint, prep, primer, coats, application method, etc. the #79 may give a better cover.

What color was the car originally? What color is being removed?

More dumb questions...

Do you have a source for both colors?

If so, do you know the age of the paint, shelf life, storage environment, etc.

Do you have a current blog/web site with details of your Volvo's restoration?

Some major auto paint shops can duplicate the colors with fresh-batch mix.

George Dill

www.volvotips.com/index.php/general/volvo-color-codes/
Last Edit: 1 year 1 month ago by gdill3.

Re: Volvo P1800 restoration and paint color 1 year 1 month ago #840

• johnd
  • Fresh Boarder
George,

Thanks very much for your response.

The car is currently a light green. It will be stripped to bare metal, the engine will be pulled and painted, and the windows and doors will be removed in the process. New rubber seals will be installed throughout the body of the vehicle.

I've decided to go with Pearl White (#79). I will be talking this week with the gentleman who is doing the restoration, and I'll ask him which paint products he typically uses. In the meantime, if you happen to know which paint companies (DuPont, etc.) produce a good Pearl White, I'd appreciate it if you would provide me with their names. Also, if you happen to have the paint formula for Pearl White (#79), that would be much appreciated, too.

At this point, all I know is that he plans to put on four coats of paint and 4 coats of clear coat, and epoxy primer to bare metal. I don't know anything about the type of paint he plans to use; any suggestions would be appreciated. Whenever possible, body parts that are rusted will be replaced with metal, not bondo.

Also, when stripping the car, I don't know whether he plans to use chemicals or an abrasive. I've heard that chemical stripping is much better, but, quite frankly, I'll probably have to accept whatever process he typically uses.

I'll insist that the paint to be used is a fresh-batch mix. That's something I've never given any thought to, so thanks for the tip.

Also, I hadn't thought about posting pics of the restoration process online, but it's something that I might consider doing.

Thanks again.

John

Re: Volvo P1800 restoration and paint color 1 year 1 month ago #853

• C1800
  • Fresh Boarder
Have a look at my post in new members, you'll see a pearl white example

Re: Volvo P1800 restoration and paint color 1 year 1 month ago #854

• johnd
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks for you response.

So, you're the lucky owner of that beautiful 1800. I've looked at that video several times in the past, amazed at how beautiful that restoration is. I should probably stop looking at it because there's no way that my car will come out anywhere close to yours.

Were you the winner of that Castrol restoration?

Re: Volvo P1800 restoration and paint color 1 year 1 month ago #855

• C1800
  • Fresh Boarder
I bought it from the winner.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.271 seconds

We have 142 guests and no members online

You are here: Home Forum RWD Forums P1800, 1800S, 1800E/ES Volvo P1800 restoration and paint color