Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: P1800 Learning Curve before I buy

P1800 Learning Curve before I buy 8 months 3 weeks ago #1154

• crocker7
  • Fresh Boarder
I've been doing online research with regard to the P1800S and ES but, have yet to see either in person. My attraction to the S, over the ES, is the dashboard. I'm liking the look of it. The attraction to the ES is the lines of the car (Just not loving the later style dashboard) Anyway, that being said, are there specific things to look for in either model when I eventually look to buy? I realize that's a very general question but, if I could get a hit list, that would be great. I'd like to eventually purchase a car that's a turn key, weekend driver. Not a show car, and not a restore. I'd rather spend the money, upfront, than kid myself into thinking I can take a project car and work on it myself....I don't have the facilities or the mechanic know-how.

Also, I live on Long Island and if anyone, in the tri-sate area, happens to have a Volvo P1800, any model, and would be up to meeting, so I can actually look at an example of the car, that would be great!

Any help, thoughts, ideas are greatly appreciated!
Tom
You must register to gain posting privileges.

P1800 Learning Curve before I buy 8 months 3 weeks ago #1155

• gdill3
  • Thank you received: 34
crocker7 wrote:
I've been doing online research with regard to the P1800S and ES but, have yet to see either in person. My attraction to the S, over the ES, is the dashboard. I'm liking the look of it. The attraction to the ES is the lines of the car (Just not loving the later style dashboard) Anyway, that being said, are there specific things to look for in either model when I eventually look to buy? I realize that's a very general question but, if I could get a hit list, that would be great. I'd like to eventually purchase a car that's a turn key, weekend driver. Not a show car, and not a restore. I'd rather spend the money, upfront, than kid myself into thinking I can take a project car and work on it myself....I don't have the facilities or the mechanic know-how.

Also, I live on Long Island and if anyone, in the tri-sate area, happens to have a Volvo P1800, any model, and would be up to meeting, so I can actually look at an example of the car, that would be great!

Any help, thoughts, ideas are greatly appreciated!

Welcome to the Forum, Tom.

Long Island, eh - you are down the road from the world's most famous Volvo 1800S, Irv Gordon and his 3 million mile 1966 red beauty. He may allow you to sit in the passenger seat and touch the radio knob but the car has only one driver.

The Volvo 1800 coupe was made from 1961 to 1972 the ES in '72 and '73. The later cars have fuel injection with B20 engine and early versions have the B18 with twin carbs. Most versions have the 4-speed manual trans with overdrive.

The two main areas of concern for the prospective buyer are major rust and/or collision damage. Due to the boxed chassis construction and factory undercoat both rust and damage may not be readily visible.

Share your maximum budget for the right car, your desires as to model years/versions and your willingness to "fly in drive home".

Below are some starter links for Volvo 1800 ownership to include some recent classifieds.

Thanks.

George Dill

This automatic 1971 is ready to roll...

www.collectorcarads.com/Volvo-P1800/58551

volvo1800pictures.com/sweden/Volvo_1800_dokumentation_main_page_en.php

www.v1800reg.org/

www.1800philes.com/

www.volvo1800es.nl/

volvo1800pictures.com/

mkjtang.blogspot.com/
Last Edit: 8 months 3 weeks ago by gdill3. Reason: duh2
The following user(s) said Thank You: crocker7, niceguyeddie

P1800 Learning Curve before I buy 8 months 2 weeks ago #1156

• crocker7
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi George - Thanks for the Welcome, info and links. I will check them out.

Yes, I'm close to Irv, as the crow flies. I hear he's willing to part with it for a million bucks. I saw it on one of the many videos about him and his car.

I guess my cap is about $15,000. the 1969 P1800S would be the car that I'd prefer. I think that's the first year of the B20. Though, I'm sure if the right ES came along I'd go that way too. I'm more a visual person, and, as mentioned, I like the dashboard of the S.

Willingness to fly and drive is a factor. I can't imagine buying a car without actually seeing it first. Though, I'm not sure I'd fly to the left coast and drive it home. Probably be smarter to ship it. Again, not at that point yet.

I'll checkout the links, this weekend.

Again, thanks for those.

Regard,
Tom
Tom
Time to create page: 0.317 seconds

We have 83 guests and one member online

• IDFordham
You are here: Home Forum RWD Forums P1800, 1800S, 1800E/ES P1800 Learning Curve before I buy