Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Cruise control available..??

Cruise control available..?? 4 months 4 days ago #1205

• jeffwalton
  • Fresh Boarder
I have a 1971 1800e and am curious if a "cruise control" unit is / was available.
If not specifically designed for the FI engine, I was even thinking of the old-school after-market type with magnets on the drive-shaft, and a vacuum operated pull chain on the throttle cable...
If anyone had any luck with an installation, I would welcome their suggestions / comments.
Thanks
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Cruise control available..?? 4 months 4 days ago #1206

• tailfin
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4
Hi Jeff,

No, the 1800s did not have an optional cruise control. Yes, you can put one on now. I purchased one from Summit Racing Summit Racing Equipment about 8 yrs ago, but you can search the net to find other sources.

The unit I used was from Rostra and it required a bit custom fitting and I had to make a custom control arm for the throttle hookup. It also took a bit of finesse to get it synced properly, so I can't say it was a piece of cake.

Rostra makes a universal unit with a variety of different adapters and brackets, so it is probably the best aftermarket choice. This unit does use magnets on the shaft, but the control unit is electronic, so no vacuum necessary.

I put it on because I had a cross-country trip planned and wanted to avoid foot fatigue. My hat's off to Irv - 3 million miles pressing that peddle? Yikes!

Let us know what you decide on and how it works.

Ed
I want to die like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car.

Cruise control available..?? 2 months 3 weeks ago #1266

• jeffwalton
  • Fresh Boarder
Thank you for the info
Just curious, was your installation on a fuel injected model or an earlier model..??
Jeff

Cruise control available..?? 2 months 3 weeks ago #1267

• tailfin
  • Administrator
It's on a 1972 1800E.

Cruise control available..?? 2 months 3 weeks ago #1270

• tailfin
  • Administrator
Jeff,

Here are links to the manuals from the Rostra unit I used:

Vehicle Guide (almost useless): Vehicle Technical

Installation Guide: Universal Application Installation & Owner’s Manual

If I remember correctly, the tricky part was setting the pulses per minute from the magnet sensor. I would check the settings for you but the 1800 is buried under cover in the garage. I will be pulling it out in the next few weeks for a move back to Pa, so I'll check the settings then if you need them.

Ed
Last Edit: 2 months 3 weeks ago by tailfin.

Cruise control available..?? 2 months 3 weeks ago #1269

• gdill3
  • Thank you received: 30
jeffwalton wrote:
I have a 1971 1800e and am curious if a "cruise control" unit is / was available.
If not specifically designed for the FI engine, I was even thinking of the old-school after-market type with magnets on the drive-shaft, and a vacuum operated pull chain on the throttle cable...
If anyone had any luck with an installation, I would welcome their suggestions / comments.
Thanks

Killed google on this one - found nothing specific re cruise control on an 1800E, 142E, etc.

The mentioned Rostra unit is available on Amazon dot com. The electronic version would work on an 1800E and requires no vacuum source but additional Rostra components are needed to complete the installation (clutch release kit, switches, etc.).

Below is contact info for Gary Sievert in Georgia. He installed a cruise control in his 1800ES and would gladly share the details.

George Dill

Gary Sievert
gsievert at windstream dot net
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.268 seconds

We have 126 guests and one member online

• apostolou
You are here: Home Forum RWD Forums P1800, 1800S, 1800E/ES Cruise control available..??