Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Tire Selection

Tire Selection 5 months 1 week ago #1278

• 1800esjo
  • Fresh Boarder
I just bought a set of ATS Alloy wheels for my 1973 1800ES. I need to get new tires, what should I consider?
You must register to gain posting privileges.

Tire Selection 5 months 1 week ago #1279

• gdill3
  • Thank you received: 33
1800esjo wrote:
I just bought a set of ATS Alloy wheels for my 1973 1800ES. I need to get new tires, what should I consider?

Welcome to the Forum.

First, some questions:

- Is your ES lowered? Poly suspension bushes? Anti-sway bars.

- What are the diameter, width and offset on the new ATS wheels? Were centering hubs needed to mount the wheels?

- What are your driving priorities re tires? Smooth? Quiet? All-weather? High performance? Handling? Tread life? Appearance? Rain?

- Do you want the maximum size tire with very low sidewall or other?

- Will the ES be driven often or infrequently.

You need not answer these silly questions but keep them in mind as you shop for tires here...

www.tirerack.com/tires/tire-brand.jsp

Let us know what selections you make and we will share our tire experiences with you.

Thanks.

George Dill

Tire Selection 5 months 1 week ago #1288

• 1800esjo
  • Fresh Boarder
All good questions George -
Is your ES lowered? Poly suspension bushes? Anti-sway bars. - NOT LOWERED, NOT POLY, NO SWAY BAR

- What are the diameter, width and offset on the new ATS wheels? Were centering hubs needed to mount the wheels? - I BELIEVE SAME AS STOCK RIM, 5", 15"

- What are your driving priorities re tires? Smooth? Quiet? All-weather? High performance? Handling? Tread life? Appearance? Rain? - MOSTLY GOOD RIDE

- Do you want the maximum size tire with very low sidewall or other? PREFER STOCK APPEARANCE

- Will the ES be driven often or infrequently. - INFREQUENTLY

I THINK I'M GOING TO GO WITH THE VREDESTEIN SPRINT CLASSIC 185 70 15 UNLESS THERE ARE BETTER OPTIONS TO CONSIDER.

Tire Selection 5 months 6 days ago #1289

• gdill3
  • Thank you received: 33
VREDESTEIN SPRINT CLASSIC - excellent tire.

Coker Tire shows $160 each plus ship while Vulcan (online retailer) calls $137 but currently not in stock.

220 A B - very good ratings and should last many miles/years.

Do you have a local source?

George Dill

Tire Selection 5 months 6 days ago #1290

• tailfin
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4
Hope you don't mind if I jump in here.

All excellent questions George posed which need to be evaluated. Vredestein, Dunlop and Pirelli are all excellent choices and stick like glue if you enjoy spirited corners - I've used them all. The Dunlops probably only yielded about 20K, but were fun to drive. These were all on stock rims of the 1972 1800E.

In '98, I mounted a set of Dayton 72 spoke wires to keep the period look. Dayton did not have rims to fit the later model 1800s, so they custom made a set for me to my specs. The only thing I remember about the size was that I went about 1/2" oversize in width, but I don't remember if I compensated with offset. The tire size I chose was 195/65 R15 because I was trying to maintain overall tire circumference as close to stock as possible. Using a 195 tire width did cause them to rub at full turn in the front, which I solved by spacing the front 1/4" each side. This increased front track by 1/2" and considerably improved handling, especially in corners. The narrower rear end seems to tuck-in nicely. The tires I used were Viper directional radials, and have been very pleased with them. I'm not sure if these are even available anymore, but I am sure there are many other brands that exceed the performance of the Vipers.

One thing I need to mention is that if you do not have IPD's anti-sway bars installed (front AND rear) you should seriously consider doing so. Case in point; under hard cornering with the 1800s, the inside rear wheel has a tendency to lift off the ground and by "off the ground", I mean by several inches! Unless you have someone following you observing, you might never know it. Needless to say, this probably doesn't help much in keeping control of the vehicle. With the anti-sway bars installed, no problem.

There is nothing eye opening with this set-up but, "Oh man, what a difference in handling"!

Keep us posted on what you do as this thread will be of interest to many.

Ed
I want to die like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car.
Last Edit: 5 months 6 days ago by tailfin.
Time to create page: 0.271 seconds

We have 217 guests and 2 members online

• jworthey
  • Robinson6642