Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Apple CarPlay

Apple CarPlay 4 months 1 week ago #1178

• fehmann
  • Fresh Boarder
Read recently about Ferrari, Mercedes-Benz, and Volvo being the first to implement Apple's new technology that allows tighter integration (Siri, maps, etc.) with iPhones running iOS 7.1. Has anyone heard talk of retrofitting? Is it merely a matter of software? Possible?

Thanks for any help/rumors.
Fred
2014 XC70
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Apple CarPlay 4 months 1 week ago #1179

• gdill3
  • Thank you received: 29
fehmann wrote:
Read recently about Ferrari, Mercedes-Benz, and Volvo being the first to implement Apple's new technology that allows tighter integration (Siri, maps, etc.) with iPhones running iOS 7.1. Has anyone heard talk of retrofitting? Is it merely a matter of software? Possible?

Thanks for any help/rumors.
Fred
2014 XC70

Get on the list for a 2016 XC90 and you get Apple CarPlay...

"...According to the video, the new system will be available "in the coming generation Volvo cars," which likely means the upcoming, next-generation Volvo XC90.

Apple states that the system works on certain IPhone versions.

www.news10.net/story/tech/2014/03/13/apple-carplay/6365409/

George Dill

Apple CarPlay 4 months 5 days ago #1181

• tailfin
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4
Two issues here:

The first is that all Volvo news releases are available in our Current News section and any new information about this or any other Volvo related subject can be found there within hours of it being released.

Secondly, don't jump on this horse too soon. iOS7 has just been found to have very serious security flaws that allow the systems to be compromised. With current and future vehicle computer network systems so tightly integrated, it would be disastrous if an ap were developed to hack into vehicle systems. Let your imagination run wild for possibilities as to what could be done nefariously. The hope would be that vehicle mfgrs will thoroughly vet their integrated systems to prevent this from happening, but you can only do so much.

Check this out: news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-57620391-83/beware-this-big-ios-flaw-and-its-not-alone/
I want to die like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car.

Apple CarPlay 4 months 1 week ago #1180

• fehmann
  • Fresh Boarder
This from macrumors.com:

Volvo does not appear to have ruled out older model support for CarPlay entirely, but acknowledges that it would be difficult for the company to add that support.
"We have not announced any plans for an aftermarket solution for Apple CarPlay. While I cannot reveal any potential future products, I can say that there are major roadblocks for this, both from a technical as well as from a usability point-of-view."
Time to create page: 0.253 seconds

We have 287 guests and no members online