Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Good miles per gallon and 400BHP

Good miles per gallon and 400BHP 6 months 5 days ago #1277

• klausc
  • Fresh Boarder
Volvo is redisigning engines, again. It seems that the new 6 cylinder engines are too thirsty and weigh too much. The 4 cylinder engines just don't deliver enough power to ease into highway traffic without putting the pedal to the floor and hearing a lot of engine noise.

But the good/proven 5 cylinder could be a much better solution. A person in Oregon took an 854T and tweeked it with a 19T turbo and ARD tuning, plus a few other goodies, to create almost 400 bhp. When the engine/car was finished, he added new fuel injectors and a larger fuel pump:

"Recently, in three weeks of testing for fuel consumption, I came up with these figures: an average of 27 miles per gallon in town, 38 on the freeway. On long, level stretches of freeway (a rarity around here), the car averaged 41 mpg. The testing was done using regular-grade gasoline. The freeway testing was carried out in light traffic at 65 miles per hour -- the posted speed limit of the freeway I used -- without employing cruise control.

Compare the resulting numbers with the stock 850's 20/28 -- EPA figures that were matched by the instrument cluster's "Average mpg" fuel-consumption-display figures before the car was modified "

Just a heads up to the wonderful engineers at Volvo, the 850 was probably the best car Volvo made before Ford mucked it up.

For the full article by Benjamin Hoff:
benjaminhoffauthor.com/volvo.html
You must register to gain posting privileges.
Time to create page: 0.250 seconds

We have 73 guests and no members online

You are here: Home Forum General Discussion General Discussions Good miles per gallon and 400BHP