Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Front Fog light shut off after going to high beam

Front Fog light shut off after going to high beam 2 years 3 months ago #275

• sirjared
  • Fresh Boarder
i havre a 2012 XC70 with less than a 1000 miles. i was dismayed to find that when i turn on my front fog lights and switch to high beams. The fog light turns off while in high beam mode, as expected. when i switch back to low beams, I expect the fog lights to come back on, as in many previous cars in he past. In my XC70, this never happens as the fog lights switch themselves off forcing me to reach for the toggle switch and press the fog light button to on. i have not found anything in the mycar settings to enable the fog lights to remain on when set and to toggle between low and high beams.

any enlightenment would be appreciated.

thanks,
Joe:(
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Front Fog light shut off after going to high beam 2 years 3 months ago #278

• c_long20
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 8
Unfortunately, that is normal operation. I went out to the parking lot this morning and tried it on one of the loaner cars, it does the same thing. I don't know why but it seems to be how they work. I'll look around later to see if there is a setting in VIDA that can be changed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sirjared

Re: Front Fog light shut off after going to high beam 2 years 3 months ago #279

• gdill3
  • Thank you received: 23
sirjared wrote:
i havre a 2012 XC70 with less than a 1000 miles. i was dismayed to find that when i turn on my front fog lights and switch to high beams. The fog light turns off while in high beam mode, as expected. when i switch back to low beams, I expect the fog lights to come back on, as in many previous cars in he past. In my XC70, this never happens as the fog lights switch themselves off forcing me to reach for the toggle switch and press the fog light button to on. i have not found anything in the mycar settings to enable the fog lights to remain on when set and to toggle between low and high beams.

any enlightenment would be appreciated.

thanks,
Joe:(

Your car's lights are functioning correctly as designed.

The fog light switch is not a true toggle switch - once it loses power (when activating high beams) the switch goes into the OFF mode and does not return to the ON mode with the low beams although the switch itself is receiving power.

USA cars and Canada cars differ here as the DRL system is different as are headlight programs.

You may find an XC70 forum with instructions for direct-wiring the fogs but I don't link it here as such mods are anti-safety for both owners and other drivers. This includes replacing the fog switch with a true toggle.

Some 2012 XC70 owners have stated that a brief, gentle (not full) pull on the high beam control allows a shot of high beam without killing the fogs.

If you try this method please let us know if it works.

Thanks.

George Dill

Re: Front Fog light shut off after going to high beam 2 years 3 months ago #288

• sirjared
  • Fresh Boarder
George i think you are talking about the flash to pass. that will alow the fog lights to remain on. I tried that.

thank you,
Joe

Re: Front Fog light shut off after going to high beam 2 years 3 months ago #282

• c_long20
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 8
^^^What he said.

Nothing can be changed with VIDA. No settings or anything programming wise that we can change.

I was on the phone with Volvo earlier and they are saying the same thing. Sorry
The following user(s) said Thank You: sirjared
Time to create page: 0.376 seconds

We have 70 guests and no members online

You are here: Home Forum FWD & AWD Forums V70 & XC70 (2008 - Current) Front Fog light shut off after going to high beam