Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: XC70 on the Beach

XC70 on the Beach 2 years 6 months ago #311

• pjenney58
  • Fresh Boarder
So here's the story. My wife and I have a house on Cape Cod and 3 Cocker Spaniels. One of our favorite things to do is to go down to the beach at low tide and let the dogs loose. They spend hours chasing seagulls and nosing around folks parked on the flats in their 4x4 and Land Rovers etc. We typically get to the beach by parking in a lot and walking in. It's a bit of a hike and for various reasons the walk is getting more difficult, so this year my wife asked for a beach car for her birthday.

I picked up a 2006 XC70 on eBay for peanuts and did a complete stage 0 tune, it runs great and checks out fine with VIDA. I'm now starting to look at tires. I bought a set of IPD Pegasus 17" with the intention of putting 235/45s on them with all the proper steering stops etc, and thought that would be fine for a beach tire. Well, it turns out that the Commonwealth of Massachusetts have some regulations that I probably should have looked into before starting on this path, specifically the minimum size they'll let on the beach with a 17" wheel is a 245/60. (www.nps.gov/caco/cape-cod-nat...ch-driving.htm) Boring!

I've been knocking around the web looking for lift solutions and naturally found the IPD AT Concept and Bad Swede. I've had some good conversations with Rod at Bad Swede (www.badswede.com/), great guy, and it seems like just lifting the car won't solve the problem as the higher the car goes, the further forward the rear trailing arms move, making larger diameter tires rub against the from to the wheel wells--now it's clear why the IPD Team had to do so much cutting around the wheel wells on the AT Concept.

At any rate, I was wondering if any of you have any ideas. There don't seem to be too many XC70 hot rods around the web and I've got to believe that someone has run up against this problem before. Any thoughts or advice other than "Toss the XC70 and get an XC90 or Land Rover" would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

pete.;1

2011 S60 T6
2007 V70 2.5T
2006 XC70
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: XC70 on the Beach 2 years 6 months ago #312

• c_long20
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 8
The link for regulations is dead. Having said that, what about ditching the pegs for some 16's with some 265/60?

I know boo 16 yaay 17. That seems the easiest way to rectify the situation.

You shouldn't need but a 1 or 2" lift to get that in there. To keep the 17" and get that 245/60 shoe horned in there, you are most likely gonna have to do some alterations to the wheel openings. IPD cut theirs and added some fender flares. You could try finding a longer trailing arm or elongating the mounting holes for the arms. You may even try just rolling the fender edges and altering the wheel well plastic for more clearance. Make sure when you lift it you keep the prop shaft in mind. If it doesn't have the right angle or is in a bind you will have a world of expensive problems.

Let us know how it goes. Don't forget the pictures.

Re: XC70 on the Beach 2 years 6 months ago #313

• pjenney58
  • Fresh Boarder
Sorry about the bum link: www.nps.gov/caco/cape-cod-national-seashore-oversand-beach-driving.htm

Good suggestion on staying with the 16s.

Here's a question on the trailing arm thing: could XC90 suspension components could be substituted? It would seem to me that there should be some carry over from model to model and the XC90 seems to sit higher and takes a generally larger tire. Guess it might be worth checking out, but then again it might make sense to find someone willing to swap a cool looking XC70 for an XC90 and call it a day :)

Cheers!

pete.;1

Re: XC70 on the Beach 2 years 6 months ago #318

• c_long20
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 8
Well now where's the fun in that???

I really have wanted to see more people rally style in an XC70.

I'm not sure about the arms. Next time I have one in the air I will get some measurements, if I can remember. Might work though. I know the rear subframes are different.

Re: XC70 on the Beach 2 years 1 month ago #427

• pjenney58
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi Gang,

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm almost finished with the project and things are working so far. It turns out that the wide tire requirements were just a requirement for "National Seashore" beaches but all the beaches in Dennis MA and the surrounding towns are "run what ya brung." So I kept the Pegasus 17" and shod them with Sumitomo Geolander/AT 215/60-17s. They'e got a lot of grip. I ook my time doing some minor tuning and brake upgrades and have been testing in the local foothills around my home in NH. The car has loads of power and grip, plenty to handle the steep, rocky, loose goat tracks up the hills. My next step is to hit the beach, but I'm chickening out. I know the AWD is Gen III Haldex and it should do fine, but darn it, I don't see a single other Volvo on the beach. Is it because they were all sucked into the sand never to be seen again? Is it because the normal XC70 driver just doesn't think to use it that way? Thoughts? Am I going to sink or swim here.

Cheers!

Pete

At the top of the hill - Current form.
2006XC70forthebeach.jpg
Last Edit: 2 years 1 month ago by pjenney58. Reason: Post doesn't show up for some reason...

Re: XC70 on the Beach 2 years 1 month ago #428

• gdill3
  • Thank you received: 30
pjenney58 wrote:
Hi Gang,

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm almost finished with the project and things are working so far. It turns out that the wide tire requirements were just a requirement for "National Seashore" beaches but all the beaches in Dennis MA and the surrounding towns are "run what ya brung." So I kept the Pegasus 17" and shod them with Sumitomo Geolander/AT 215/60-17s. They'e got a lot of grip. I ook my time doing some minor tuning and brake upgrades and have been testing in the local foothills around my home in NH. The car has loads of power and grip, plenty to handle the steep, rocky, loose goat tracks up the hills. My next step is to hit the beach, but I'm chickening out. I know the AWD is Gen III Haldex and it should do fine, but darn it, I don't see a single other Volvo on the beach. Is it because they were all sucked into the sand never to be seen again? Is it because the normal XC70 driver just doesn't think to use it that way? Thoughts? Am I going to sink or swim here.

Cheers!

Pete

At the top of the hill - Current form.

Test post 1.

George Dill

Edit: the above-quoted post does not display due to the attachment...

2006XC70forthebeach.jpg

...but I am not smart enough to know the cause.
Last Edit: 2 years 1 month ago by gdill3.
Time to create page: 0.308 seconds

We have 153 guests and no members online