Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Monitor readiness problem in 1998 V70

Re: Monitor readiness problem in 1998 V70 1 year 3 months ago #739

• gdill3
  • Thank you received: 32
Hello, Jim;
As to the ERROR 403 - if you are getting it on VCOA only it is not your problem.
On your Volvo...
For 2012 from the EPA from: permanent.access.gpo.gov/gpo26271/420b12044.pdf
--
Volvo 1996-1998 All models excluding the 850 Turbo.
Catalyst and evaporative system monitors are difficult to complete.
Follow recommended drive cycles in Service Bulletin 2-23-0056. Otherwise test as normal.
--
Below, from the web, is a good description of the driving cycle.
Let me know how this goes.
Thanks.
George Dill
--
Posted 29 November 2006 - 02:55 AM
The drive cycle I posted at the beginning of this thread WORKS on my 1996 850 non-turbo. I just did it again because I forgot to keep my battery connected when I did my T-timing 4 months ago, stupid me.
Here's the drive cycle again.
Start with the vehicle cool, below 122 degrees F.
Turn off the air conditioning.
Select a location where the driving can be done without violating traffic laws and you can stop safely at the side of the road.
1. Start the engine and accelerate to approximately 1500-2000 rpm.
2. Drive for 6 minutes at 1500-2000 rpm.
3. Stop the vehicle and remain at idle in drive for 70 seconds.
4. Accelerate to at least 45mph and drive for 5 minutes at 1800-2200 rpm.
5. Stop the vehicle and remain at idle in drive for 60 seconds.
6. Accelerate to at least 45 mph and drive for 4 minutes at 1800-2200 rpm.
7. Stop the vehicle and remain at idle in drive for 60 seconds.
8. Park the vehicle and turn off the engine.
This procedure must be performed TWICE (consecutively) from a cold start to set the readiness codes.
EXTRA NOTES I LEARNED THIS TIME:
Some Volvo document says engine temp must between 50F to 122F. So where's 50F on the temp gauge?
It's at or just below the lowest mark on the temp gauge.
My first run ended up 100ft to a 'roadside grave', those cross you see on highway when someone dies, 1am in the morning, total darkness, and waited 2 hrs for the engine to cool for the second run.
FIX your broken ABS module first!!!
I drove the cycle 2x and still failed (I bought a $60 ODBII reader and it tells me whether I pass or not after the drive cycle). Then I fixed the ABS, drive the cycle again, and PASSED. END. --
You must register to gain posting privileges.

Re: Monitor readiness problem in 1998 V70 1 year 3 months ago #740

• jworthey
  • Fresh Boarder
OK, the drive cycle that George Dill just posted seems to be from this long page:
volvospeed.com/vs_forum/topic/25237-drive-cycle-instructions/

It appears that there are 3 or more versions of the drive cycle for which somebody has posted that it worked for him. Last night I looked at one of them, plus Google maps. It seemed that I could approximate the cycle starting from my house. In the night, after many of the traffic signals were flashing yellow for us, I drove the cycle at this page:
www.brickboard.com/AWD/volvo/1410555/S70/obd2_readiness_drive_cycle_success.html

That is the one that includes the flywheel adaptation run, which I did a couple weeks ago. You'll see that it has lower speed (35 mph), then higher speed (51 mph), along with stops for the engine to idle. I drove first on a curving divided highway (non-interstate), then 5 miles on the interstate, idle, then 5 miles back on the interstate. We'll have to do it one or two additional times before we know if the approximation is good enough.

The OBD2 scanner still shows 6 uncompleted monitors. That goes to my original question, essentially "Shouldn't some of the monitors complete more easily?" I can't say yet.

Re: Monitor readiness problem in 1998 V70 1 year 3 months ago #741

• gdill3
  • Thank you received: 32
Your Volvo has difficulty setting the EVAP and CAT monitors.

Below are some copy/paste from the web - reader beware!

George Dill

---
Readiness is the method used to confirm that all of the engine management system emissions related on-board diagnostics have run successfully and no faults were detected. Readiness is only an indication that the diagnostic has run successfully The MY 1996 to 1998 Volvo are 'TRIP' based for establishing readiness. This requires two 'TRIPS' to be completed in order to reset readiness codes from 'NOT READY' to 'READY'. A 'TRIP' is identified in the Engine Management System Service Manuals TP 2308202 M 4.4, section KKKK, TP 2301202 M 4.3, section EBU, and TP2321201 M 4.4 (900) section VVV.
Following the procedures in these manuals may not allow all of the diagnostic monitors to run. The instructions listed in this bulletin will exercise all of the diagnostic monitors on these models. Upon completion of two trips and no diagnostic trouble codes are present; the readiness codes should be set to 'READY'.

A monitor remaining 'NOT READY' only indicates that the driving conditions for the diagnostic to run have not yet been met. There are several reasons the monitor status may be 'NOT READY', such as;
1. The battery has been disconnected for service and the ECM memory is erased.

2. A DTC has been erased from the ECM, resulting in readiness is re-set to 'NOT READY'

3. The driver may not normally drive far enough or in a pattern that readiness is completed during the drive.

General Instructions

1. No Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC) should be present in the ECM or TCM.

2. Fly wheel adaptation must be completed before diagnostics can run (Refer to Driving to change the flywheel status to "Ready").

3. Connect Volvo Systems Tester (VST). Enter the DIAGNOSTIC CHECK menu to verify if a trip has been completed as shown. Please Note: If using a scan tool other than the VST, different terms for reporting the same status may be displayed. 'READY' may be displayed as 'COMPLETE' and, 'NOT READY' may be displayed as INCOMPLETE'.

4. In order to insure EVAP leakage detection completion, the fuel level in the car should be above 1/4 and below 3/4 tank.

5. Air conditioning (A/C) must be off during idle periods. A/C compressor activation during the EVAP diagnostic may interrupt the EVAP test.

6. Select a suitable route where it is possible to achieve necessary speed and load conditions and occasionally stop at the side of the road safely. This needs to be done while obeying all traffic regulations and posted speed limits.

7. Important: Keep as steady a throttle pedal as possible when driving.

8. Engine temperature at start must be between + 29.
---
The drive cycle for a 1999 S70 is (this is straight from VIDA):

Driving schedule:
Start the engine
shift gear selector to drive
accelerate gently to 1500–2000 rpm
drive for 5 minutes at 1500–2000 rpm
run the engine at idle speed for 70 seconds
drive engaged, air conditioning (A/C) off
drive for 6 minutes at 1500–2000 rpm
run the engine at idle speed for 40 seconds
drive engaged
air conditioning (A/C) off
run the engine at idle speed for 50 seconds
Engine brake from 4000 rpm to approximately 1300 rpm a few times.
---
Drive Cycle

1. Start the engine and accelerate to approximately 1500-2000 rpm. 2. Drive for 6 minutes at 1500-2000 rpm. 3. Stop the vehicle and remain at idle in drive for 70 seconds. 4. Accelerate to at least 45mph and drive for 5 minutes at 1800-2200 rpm. 5. Stop the vehicle and remain at idle in drive for 60 seconds. 6. Accelerate to at least 45 mph and drive for 4 minutes at 1800-2200 rpm. 7. Stop the vehicle and remain at idle in drive for 60 seconds. 8. Park the vehicle and turn off the engine.
---
.1 Vehicles with Monitor Readiness Issues
Some import vehicles have known readiness issues. Many 1996-’98 Mitsubishi vehicles have monitors that read "not ready" because setting the monitors requires very specific drive cycles (which can be found in their service information). Even so, these vehicles can be scanned for codes and the MIL light without regard to readiness status. On 1996 Subarus and 1996 Volvo 850 Turbos, turning the key off will clear all the readiness flags and these vehicles must be driven to again set all the readiness flags. On 1997 Toyota Tercel and Paseo models, the EVAP monitor readiness flag will never set, and no fix is yet available. Other vehicles that often exhibit "not ready" conditions for their EVAP and catalytic converter monitors include 1996-’98 Volvos, 1996-’98 Saabs, and 1996-’97 Nissan 2.0L 200SX models.
---
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.334 seconds

We have 149 guests and no members online

You are here: Home Forum FWD & AWD Forums S70, V70 & V70XC - (1998-2000) Monitor readiness problem in 1998 V70