Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Bike Carrier for 2011 C70 - Mission Impossible?

Bike Carrier for 2011 C70 - Mission Impossible? 2 years 7 months ago #303

• FenwayC70
  • Fresh Boarder
My wife and I took European delivery on a 2011 C70 last summer. We both like to bike, but much to our dismay we are being told by our Volvo retailer that there is no accessory (bike carrier or trailer hitch) available for the C70 convertible.

We would welcome any suggestions from other owners who may have experienced this problem. Thanks!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Bike Carrier for 2011 C70 - Mission Impossible? 2 years 7 months ago #304

• gdill3
  • Thank you received: 31
FenwayC70 wrote:
My wife and I took European delivery on a 2011 C70 last summer. We both like to bike, but much to our dismay we are being told by our Volvo retailer that there is no accessory (bike carrier or trailer hitch) available for the C70 convertible.

We would welcome any suggestions from other owners who may have experienced this problem. Thanks!

Showing my ignorance of specs for modern Volvos - is your C70 convertible a cloth-top or folding hard-top?

I did find a generic roof rack (two separate cross-rails) that attaches to the C70 hard-top by gripping the frame at the door opening. Two versions...

vi.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemDescV4&item=220853260748&t=1326486419000&ds=0&js=-1&ssid=100&seller=techproz&category=33640&bv=msie&nv=2&sd=3&vct=1&caz.html

...but the mounts appear to interfere with the glass seal at the top of the window and...

...the inflatable version with possibly the same limitation.

A bike carrier would easily mount on the rack.

The C70 convertibles' design for rear crash-worthiness inhibits the mounting of a stable and safe trailer hitch.

Given that the top-down mode is the main idea behind a convertible I can see why Volvo expects you to take your 2012 XC90 on bike trips.

Let us know if you find a workable solution.

Thanks.

George Dill

Re: Bike Carrier for 2011 C70 - Mission Impossible? 1 year 2 months ago #717

• PMossberg
  • Fresh Boarder
I realize it's been a year since you asked, but Ihope this helps anyway!

The aftermarket disagrees with Volvo re the availablity of trailer hitches for the second generation C70:

www.autoaccessoriesgarage.com/Towing-Hitches/Curt-Receiver-Hitch

www.etrailer.com/hitch-2013_Volvo_C70.htm
Last Edit: 1 year 2 months ago by PMossberg.
Time to create page: 0.256 seconds

We have 76 guests and no members online

You are here: Home Forum FWD & AWD Forums C70 (2006-Current) Bike Carrier for 2011 C70 - Mission Impossible?